Thursday, August 25, 2011

Know-it-All


 There was a time when my oldest son was playing ball that I was asked if I would like to help another man coach the team to which I said sure. What a year that was, what I thought would be a simple job was not so simple. One of the main problems was from the parents in the stands; no matter what we did they always knew a better way and were sure to let us know what we were doing wrong and what we should have done in any given situation. I and the other man had committed to coach the team, but those who seemed to know what was to be done were never at a practice giving us a helping hand. Not one time did we hear the words I can’t be here every practice because of my work schedule but I’ll be here as much as I can for I want to be a help. Oh no, we never heard words like that but on game day there they were with their advice. That reminds me of a day in the life of David. David was told by his father Jesse to take some parched corn, and ten loaves of bread to his three brothers that were with King Saul. When David arrived he saw and heard something that got his attention.
1Samuel 17:4  And there went out a champion out of the camp of the Philistines, named Goliath, of Gath,
1Samuel  17:8  And he stood and cried unto the armies of Israel, and said unto them, Why are ye come out to set your battle in array? am not I a Philistine, and ye servants to Saul? choose you a man for you, and let him come down to me.
1Samuel 17:9  If he be able to fight with me, and to kill me, then will we be your servants: but if I prevail against him, and kill him, then shall ye be our servants, and serve us.  David was not expecting what happened next; one man had the whole army scared to death and no one was jumping at this opportunity. Then the King said if someone will go fight with this giant and kill him I’ll enrich him with great riches.  I will give him my daughter, and make his father's house tax free in Israel. David said the famous word “is there not a cause” let no man's heart fail because of him; thy servant will go and fight with this Philistine. Here is where it started, with those who were too scared to go themselves.
1Samuel 17:33  And Saul said to David, Thou art not able to go against this Philistine to fight with him: for thou art but a youth, and he a man of war from his youth. Can you believe what we are reading, here’s a bunch of wimps who will not go themselves and now they are telling David he can’t either; are they nuts? David was not looking at a glass half empty but half full; David wasn’t looking at what David could do but what God could do through him. Here we see a man trained in war from his youth and then there’s David a young lad that looked after sheep. It looked as if David was doomed so others were giving him their advice on what he should do; be careful about listening to those who know how to do something when they have never done it themselves. Don’t waste your time listening to those who want to give you counsel on how to make  your marriage better when they themselves have been married three and four times; what’s wrong with that picture?  Like the man that was behind the curtain told the Scarecrow.  “Why, anybody can have a brain. That’s a very mediocre commodity. Every pusillanimous creature that crawls on the Earth or slinks through slimy seas has a brain. Back where I come from, we have universities, seats of great learning, where men go to become great thinkers. And when they come out, they think deep thoughts and with no more brains than you have. But they have one thing you haven’t got.” As David approached the giant he had one thing the giant didn't; the Lord. So when others begin to tell you what will and what will not work but have never committed themselves to what you are doing just remember to do like David be kind and pay them little or no attention.

No comments:

Post a Comment