Thursday, January 12, 2012

Building A Relationship


This past weekend my wife and I went to see some very close friends in the state of Indiana. It was a nice trip and time well spent. My mother and father-n-law went with us and also our favorite daughter. Our daughter has a close friend that lives there and they were looking forward to seeing each other as well as spending time together. Now I wrote all that to say this; my daughter and her friend text every day telling each other about what’s going on in their lives. Now it has been over a year since they have seen each other but by way of texting they have kept in touch. As I thought about their relationship I got to thinking about her texting her friend is like our praying to our Heavenly Father. You see my daughter doesn’t see her friend she just talks to her by way of text. You and I don’t see our Heavenly Father but we should be talking to Him on a daily basis. It’s like the Apostle Paul said;
2Corinthains 5:8  We are confident, I say, and willing rather to be absent from the body, and to be present with the Lord. “We are confident” have you ever stopped to wonder why Paul said he was having full belief; trusting; relying; fully assured? Could it be that he spent time in prayer talking with his Heavenly Father? I think so!  But he didn’t stop there he said he was willing to be absent from my body so that I might be present with the Lord. Now why would anyone want to spend time or live with someone they didn’t know? My wife had always wanted to spend the night at a bed and breakfast. On our 37 anniversary I arranged a trip that included just that. To me it was like going to someone’s home you didn’t know and spending the night there and then eating breakfast with people you didn’t know. That’s all I got to say about that. If a person was to go to heaven that didn’t read their Bible, talk with their Heavenly Father or spend time getting to know our Heavenly Father. I think you might hear questions like what did you say your name was again? Obadiah! And you say that there was a book in the Bible that was named after you? Well, maybe you can help me I am looking for my Heavenly Father? That’s just how it will be if we don’t spend time in prayer and allowing our Heavenly Father to lead and guide us. How foolish to think like that.   My daughter was glad to see her friend because although she hadn’t seen her in over a year she had been talking with her all that time and strengthening their relationship. We do the same when we pray and read our Bibles, we build a relationship with our Heavenly Father and if we aren’t doing that then there’s no relationship.
John 10:27  My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me: Because we have been talking to each other.

As I journey through the land, singing as I go,
Pointing souls to Calvary—to the crimson flow,
Many arrows pierce my soul from without, within;
But my Lord leads me on, through Him I must win.

When in service for my Lord dark may be the night,
But I’ll cling more close to Him, He will give me light;
Satan’s snares may vex my soul, turn my thoughts aside;
But my Lord goes ahead, leads whate’er betide.

When in valleys low I look toward the mountain height,
And behold my Savior there, leading in the fight,
With a tender hand outstretched toward the valley low,
Guiding me, I can see, as I onward go.

When before me billows rise from the mighty deep,
Then my Lord directs my bark; He doth safely keep,
And He leads me gently on through this world below;
He’s a real Friend to me, oh, I love Him so.

Oh, I want to see Him, look upon His face,
There to sing forever of His saving grace;
On the streets of glory let me lift my voice,
Cares all past, home at last, ever to rejoice.


Do you really want to see HIM? Do you really want to look upon HIS face?

No comments:

Post a Comment