Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Good


This past Saturday afternoon I was with some friends when one of them gave me a card. It was a card that was gold in color and it had a square in the middle of it about the size of a thumb. It read “are you a good person place thumb in square and press for 10 seconds if you are a good person it will turn green.” To the left of the card it had a green color and then it got lighter; I just assumed that it worked off your body heat. I had a ruler something similar to the card and you press your thumb in a square and it would tell you if you were stressed; I thought the card was like that. As I began to press the card a friend said that I might have to hold it for at least 20 second. I just figured he had already done this and he had to hold it a little longer himself; for he was a good person in my eyes. Well, I didn’t expect the square to be green maybe a light green. As I raised my thumb it had not changed colors at all. Well, we all, including myself like to think we are a good person, we treat people fair and do good things. Webster says the word good means Valid; legally firm; not weak or defective; having strength adequate to its support; as a good title; a good deed; a good claim, sound; not weak, false or fallacious. Legally firm, not weak or defective; wait a minute here on whose standards? If we go by God’s standards then I’m going to come up short. The reasoning behind that is God says not to use His name in vain; I am guilty. He said to honor our parents and I am guilty again. He said thy shalt not lie and I am guilty there too. God tells us not to covet, not to lust; in my standards I’m a good person if we go by God’s standards then I’m not. If in our court systems the guilty are punished, then what about God? He will have to punish the guilty too. In our society if a person pays his debt he can be returned back into society. This is not true with God He says that we are not to lie, steal, kill, commit adultery and we are not to covet. Now that I have broken the law of God I am guilty; what’s the punishment?
Romans 3:12……there is none that doeth good, no, not one.
Romans 6:23  For the wages of sin is death It’s true we are not as good as we would like to believe and each one of us have sinned, therefore that makes us guilty before a righteous and Holy God. I am grateful that God made a provision of each of us and that provision is Jesus Christ. Jesus came and did what you and I couldn’t He lived a perfect life not one unkind word slipped out of His mouth not one unclean thought went through His mind, not one time was He unkind to Joseph or His mother. That made Him able to pay the supreme price He gave His life so that you and I could have life. As Romans 6:23  goes on to say “but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.” Just like any other gift you must except it; He knocks at our hearts door but you must open it, just like you would for anyone else to come in. We deserve the punishment but Jesus took our punishment so that you and I might have life and have it more abundantly. It’s a gift for each of us to take; this is a no brainer and if for some reason we think we are good enough then we will have messed up big time and have to pay the price; eternal death.   

No comments:

Post a Comment