Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Appreciation

There's a game that when played no one wins everyone loses. It's called the comparison game. The Bible tells us that this isn't wise. 2 Corinthians 10:12 For we dare not make ourselves of the number, or compare ourselves with some that commend themselves: but they measuring themselves by themselves, and comparing themselves among themselves, are not wise. There will always be someone else who does things better or is more effective than you. Think for a moment what this essayist had to say. He says that people are either people which are minus or those which are plus people. The minus people are those who leave us poorer, and the plus those who leave us richer. A person who comes along and all they can do is find fault in all you do, that's a minus person. I will agree we don't do everything perfect and yes, we do make mistakes. But to be honest with you we don't need to hear it forever; do you think? Then there are those who I love to see coming in my direction because I know that before they leave there will be some appreciation coming from their lips. That's a plus person and I believe we all would like some appreciation for things we do from time to time. Our Lord was wonderful in His appreciation. He saw the worshipping woman in the harlot, the disciple in the despised tax collector and the rock in the unstable will of Simon. He saw Sparrows when others saw no value in them. He saw the beauty in the lilies when others just saw flowers. He saw you and the _______________ in you when others just saw all the imperfections you were making. The Lord has appreciation for you. No wonder we follow Him and want to do our best for Him. We all are just one person and we all are working with what we have. As I close today I want to leave you with this poem.


 

I am only one, but I am one;
I cannot do everything
But I can do something.
What I can do, I ought to do
And what I ought to do
By the grace of God, I will do.
—Canon Farrar


 

No comments:

Post a Comment