Monday, May 4, 2009

Without Doubt a Hero

Tommy Rieman was a teenager pumping gas in Independence, Kentucky, when he enlisted in the United States Army. He was sent to Iraq and then there was the day his squad was ambushed ten to one. In the midst of a reconnaissance mission out of nowhere the enemy began to fire upon them. Their vehicles kept moving as Sgt. Rieman dove into the backseat and used his body as a shield to protect his gunner. As they sped away from the ambush, they found themselves ambushed again by some 50 enemy attackers. Rieman was shot in the right arm, he was shot in the chest, he had shrapnel wounds to his chest and stomach and ear, and his squad was out of ammo. In spite of his wounds, Tommy Rieman began firing away with his grenade launcher at their attackers. Finally, the enemy's guns fell silent. Then Sgt. Rieman began tending to his wounded. In President Bush's 2007 State of the Union Address he introduced him to the nation. Sgt. Tommy Rieman is without doubt a hero. But if you were to ask him about his Purple Heart and the Silver Star and ask him if he considered himself a hero. He would say no! That's just what a soldier does, wounded and yes badly wounded but you just keep fighting for there is no place to quit. Anybody can quit. You can quit. I can quit. It is nothing to say I am done, I quit. But do you we really want to quit? I am sure we have all had that thought, "I'll just quit." But you know what? Every time I just think of the Apostle Paul and what he wrote to young Timothy. 2Timothy 4:6 For I am now ready to be offered, and the time of my departure is at hand. 2Timothy 4:7
I have fought a good fight, I have finished my course, I have kept the faith:

Timothy it will not be long before I am to be put to death. But I want you know I'm ready; you see I have fought and I have finished and through it all I have kept the faith. Those words have always encouraged me. So when you feel like throwing in the towel and saying I'm finished, just give it another day and keep putting your faith in the Lord and as my father-n-law has told me in the past "the sun will shine again" and it will. Don't let the problems of this week get you down! Somebody is looking at you as well as to you, don't let them down.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment