Monday, May 25, 2009

Memorial Day 2009

As I said on Friday I want to tell you of one of my hero's. The year was about 1966 when I met him for the first and only time. I was with my dad as he talked with a man whom he knew who lived down the street from where we boarded our horses. I did not know him or his son but my dad introduced them to me. We were introduced and I am sure we shook hands but I can't even remember that. Then you may ask how in the world did this person become one of your hero's? Let me explain. About a year or so later my dad told me that this young man had been KIA (Killed in Action) in Viet Nam. He was killed on December 2, 1967. He had only been in the Viet Nam for 10 days and was shot and killed. His name was Wayne J Stokes; I go by his grave 3 to 4 times a year to pay my respect to a war hero that I really didn't even know. But yet I do! He gave his all that you and I can live in a country where we can enjoy freedom. I went by his grave not long ago and began to think of how a Mom and Dad must have felt the day they were told their son was gone. For the likes of me I could only imagine. Then I notice their tombstones, they both have passed away and what does it even matter now. But it does matter; there are thousands of families who are still suffering from the loss of their love one. What is sad that the war in Viet Nam is not over! The war in Viet Nam was awful and too many good men died. But what many don't know is that they are still dying. From what you may ask? One thing, Agent Orange and then some from the memories they can't get out of their heads. My good friend Phillip Nixon had his liver replaced. Stanley DeCastor has problems with his skin because of Agent Orange. He was told as many others it won't hurt! Jimmy Johnson was told that he had changed. I guess so; he lives with the horrors every single day. Jerry Barns was shot twice and the night mares and cold sweats are always with him. Ask a person who was there and you will not get much information. I talked with a man in Hawesville, KY. He told me it seemed so long ago, a time I wish I could forget. So while we have the day off and sit in the luxury of our home and watch our children play at our feet or BBQ with our families don't forget the men and women who paid the price for you to have that privilege. I want to say thanks to my hero Wayne J. Stokes, you gave it all! God bless you!

DUST

We were young, strong and fool hearty.
We were men of steel who rode iron horses.

But steel and iron rust away.

Soon we shall all fade, as did the life we led.

And we shall return to the dust from whence we came,
leaving only a fleeting memory and a name upon a wall.

1C9H

One Charlie Niner Hotel (1C9H)

I watched, helplessly, as a beautiful land was torn by war.

I raised my angry eyes and voice toward Heaven and shouted,

"Why God?"

But no answer came.

I watched, helplessly, as my friends were shattered by war.

I raised my angry eyes and voice toward Heaven and shouted,

"Why God?"

But no answer came.

I watched, helplessly, as she died in my arms.

I raised my angry eyes and voice toward Heaven and shouted,

"Why God?"

But no answer came.

I stood before a silent, black wall.

I raised my angry eyes and voice toward Heaven and shouted,

"Why God?"

But no answer came.

I felt a slight tug on my sleeve and looked down into the shiny eyes of a small child. He asked, "Were you a soldier, Mister?"

With a tiny finger, he pointed and said, "My grandpa was a soldier and a hero. Did you know my grandpa, Mister?"

I took his small hand in mine; and with a sweeping gesture I said, "Yes, Boy. I knew your grandpa; I knew them all. They were all heroes. Would you like me to tell you about them?"

My answer came.


John H Sosebee WWII Thanks Dad

Thomas Henry Roberts. I knew him well; we all thought he was strange when we were kids. Then I found out why! He was a Corporal in the Marine Corps, serving as a Rifle Sharpshooter and member of the Mortar Platoon a survivor of Iwo Jima. He passed away July 14, 2007 at the age of 86.


Thomas Craig Richard Jr. PFC KIA 8 February 1968


I could tell you more but I have told you enough at this point, and if you do nothing else today pray for our Military they need your prayers. God Bless You! Enjoy the day for freedom has a price.

Sgt. Wayne S Sosebee, USAF 12791196 1968-1972

No comments:

Post a Comment