Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Misunderstood

Have you ever been misunderstood? I am sure we can all say yes to that. I remember one time when I was fishing with my father-n-law in Florida. We saw a man who with desperate sounds began to try to get everyone's attention. It took a minute for us to understand what he was trying to say; or show us. A number of water spouts were headed our way. A water spout looks like a small tornado in the water. It didn't look very dangerous to anyone else that was fishing and no one else seemed upset. This man was acting strange. I wonder if he was just misunderstood by everyone there? What if we were in a room and a man came running into the room and began to tell everyone that the building was on fire and everyone needed to get out. Although he was telling the truth no one in the room is upset at all because we all misunderstood what he was saying. He is telling us in a language we don't understand. Jesus was misunderstood more than once let's look at Mark 15:34
And at the ninth hour Jesus cried with a loud voice, saying, Eloi, Eloi, lama sabachthani? which is, being interpreted, My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me?
Mark 15:35
And some of them that stood by, when they heard it, said, Behold, he calleth Elias.

They misunderstood Him? They had only caught a fragment of His speech. They had only heard a syllable or two. Had they caught the whole of it— let the whole sentence sink into their hearts— they would have known that He was calling upon God. No they thought He was calling for Elias. Many Christians do the same thing. Let me explain! At a revival meeting an invitation was given for folks to come forward if they wanted to be born again. Near the back a young man was approached and asked if he would like to be born again? To which he replied "NO!" Then he was asked why don't you want to be born again? The young man in all seriousness answered "because I'm afraid I'd come out as a girl!" What was the problem? He simply didn't understand and because of that the man was misunderstood. That's the problem people don't understand and therefore they are misunderstood. When I have a problem with my computer the person who tries helping me will speak in a computer language I don't understand. Listen to what Jesus said Matthew 13:13
Therefore speak I to them in parables: because they seeing see not; and hearing they hear not, neither do they understand.
Jesus said I am going to tell you in a way that you will understand, because if I don't you will misunderstand what I am saying. Think about it the next time you use words like Saved, become a Christian, accept Christ, and receive Jesus, even Savior. Ever asked anyone if they were lost? They may not understand your language and therefore misunderstand what you are saying. Paul prayed like this Colossians 4:3
Withal praying also for us, that God would open unto us a door (give us an opportunity) of utterance, to speak the mystery of Christ, for which I am also in bonds:
Colossians 4:4
That I may make it manifest, (clear as possible) as I ought to speak.

Make yourself clear and don't be misunderstood, asks God to help you and He will.

No comments:

Post a Comment