Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Leading Shepherd

I don't know anything about sheep, all I know is what I have read. I have noticed that in the Bible sheep are mentioned 188 times and you know what every sheep needs? That's right a shepherd and you know how the shepherd gets his sheep to go where he wants them to go? There's a way that works and a way that doesn't work. If you were to get behind a herd of sheep and try to push them along you would find that it will not work. No matter how much noise you make or how much you wave your arms when sheep are pushed they just scatter. How does the shepherd get them to do what he wants? I know you already know but I want to tell you anyways. We are told two times in Psalms 23 that the shepherd leads; one time beside the still waters and then in the paths of righteousness. Psalms 23:2
He maketh me to lie down in green pastures: he leadeth me beside the still waters.
Psalms 23:3
He restoreth my soul: he leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for his name's sake.
What's so interesting about that? Remember all I know about sheep is what I have read and this is what I have read. For sheep to sleep everything must be just right. No predators, no tension in the flock, no bugs in the air and no hunger in the belly. Everything has to be just so. Unfortunately, sheep cannot find safe pasture, nor can they spray insecticide, deal with the frictions or find food. They need help. They need a shepherd to "lead them" and help them "lie down in green pastures." Without a shepherd, they can't rest. There is a condition that annually costs the U.S. $70 billion worth of productivity. Studies show that 64 percent of teens blame it for poor school performance, middle agers face it and senior citizens are afflicted by it. It afflicts 70 million Americans and is faulted for 38,000 deaths each year. What do you think it is chemical abuse, divorce? No! Today I talked with a man who was suffering from it. The answer; insomnia! America can't get to sleep. Without a shepherd, sheep can't sleep and without a shepherd neither can we. Get the picture; a flock of sheep on folded legs encircling a shepherd. There is a still pond on one side and the watching shepherd on the other. He maketh me to lie down in green pastures: He leadeth me beside the still waters. It's the shepherd who's in charge. It's the shepherd who has selected the trail and prepares the pasture. The sheep's job is to watch the shepherd and with eyes on the shepherd there will be sleep as well as peace.

Isaiah 26:3
Thou wilt keep him in perfect peace, whose mind is stayed on thee: because he trusteth in thee.

Are we letting the shepherds lead or are we allowing others or even ourselves to push us? John 10:27
My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me:
Have a Blessed Day as the great high Shepherd leads you.

No comments:

Post a Comment