Friday, January 29, 2010

Ready

Being ready is important but I must say I have not been ready for everything that comes my way. Sometimes others will tell me of a certain event that I was not ready to hear. Other times I am not ready to go or ready to meet another person. When I was in the military we had to be ready to move on short notice. But I find myself many times not ready to meet what's ahead of me. That was not so in the life of the Apostle Paul Romans 1:15
So, as much as in me is, I am ready to preach the gospel to you that are at Rome also.
Paul was ready to preach to them in Roman. Just a few books over in 2 Corinthians chapter 12 verses 14 and 15 Paul says he is ready to come to them that are in Corinth. 2Corinthains 12:14
Behold, the third time I am ready to come to you; and I will not be burdensome to you: for I seek not yours, but you: for the children ought not to lay up for the parents, but the parents for the children.

2Corinthians 12:15
And I will very gladly spend and be spent for you; though the more abundantly I love you, the less I be loved.
We have seen Paul so far ready to preach and ready to go but I want you to read this for this will separate the men from the boys. Acts 21:13
Then Paul answered, What mean ye to weep and to break mine heart? for I am ready not to be bound only, but also to die at Jerusalem for the name of the Lord Jesus.
Ready to Die! Lots of people are ready to live but the numbers grow few when we talk about dying. Years ago my Dad was in a Hospital in Downtown Atlanta and I went to visit with him one evening. As I was walking toward his room I felt impressed to tell the person in the room with him about the Lord. Now the strange thing is I didn't even know if anyone was in the same room with him. When I arrived I noticed that there was another man in the room with him. I knew what the Lord had told me to do but I was slow in doing it. After I had been visiting with my Dad for some time I go up and asked the man if he were to die tonight did he know if he would go to heaven or not. I have never forgotten his answer. He told me that his religion was personal and refused to talk with me. After a little bit he told my dad that in a few days when they got to feeling better that they should go and paint the town red. I soon left and went home for the night. The next day as I arrived at the Hospital I thought to myself that I would try and speak to this man again. As I arrived at the room I noticed he was not there so I asked my Dad where he was, my Dad said that he had died during the night. That has been over 30 years now and I have never forgotten that a man had an opportunity to go to heaven and died not ready to meet His maker. But this is not the case with the Apostle Paul for he said he was ready to die at Jerusalem for the name of the Lord Jesus. Years have passed and Paul finds himself in a Roman prison with his life now approaching the end. He has this to say 2Timothy 4:6
For I am now ready to be offered, and the time of my departure is at hand.
He then adds three things

2Timothy 4:7
I have fought a good fight, I have finished my course, I have kept the faith:
His Fight, His Finish and His Faith for Paul had never been a dropout! Because of that his future was bright

2Timothy 4:8
Henceforth there is laid up for me a crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous judge, shall give me at that day: and not to me only, but unto all them also that love his appearing.
Paul was ready to meet the Lord he loved face to face. I have to ask myself, am I ready, do I have the confidence that Paul had? I am only one heartbeat away from that day just as you are. I'm ready for the weekend and I am ready to spend time with the people I love. Today my mother will be 80 years old and we have some things planned for her this weekend to help her celebrate. May God Bless each and everyone until we meet again on Monday and ask yourself are you READY? I am!

No comments:

Post a Comment