Thursday, January 7, 2010

Unbelievable

I can still remember it like it was yesterday and I do understand how Jacob felt when this statement was made;

Gen 29:20
And Jacob served seven years for Rachel; and they seemed unto him but a few days, for the love he had to her.


The year 1969 the date December 31 and I was downtown Atlanta on the fifth floor of the Georgian Terrace Hotel at a New Years Eve Party when I and a young girl first got together. We had a few dates and then it happened on January the fifth as we were sitting in the parking lot of Walker High School where she and I had both graduated. I asked her to marry me and I never expected to hear her say yes but she did. We never dated in High School and to use an old saying we both lived on different sides of the tracks. She, a beautiful young lady who was a good student; she took French for four years and dated those much like herself with new and fancy cars. I on the other hand; I don't want to feel bad today so I'll just leave my grades alone. Sorry to say she classified me as a punk and I won't go into any more detail. I had spent one year in the military by now and didn't know my future, in less than two weeks I would be back in Minnesota and who knows where they would send me. I heard her say "YES" and couldn't believe what I just heard and no we were not drinking. The next day January 6 I showed up at her house and off we went to a little town in South Carolina named Walla Halla. When we arrived we filled the paper work out and they told us we would have a waiting period of 24 hours before we could get married. They said to let people know that we were getting married; if we wanted people to know we would have told them ourselves and would not have driven to another state. Back home we went, unmarried; would she change her mind? I did stretch the truth somewhat; I really can't understand how Jacob felt for he waited 7 years I only had to wait 7 days. Well as the sun came up in the east on the morning of January 7 I got ready to go and pick her up and we took off; this time it was for real, we arrived at three o'clock in the afternoon; I remember the bells on the clock in the court house ringing as we walked toward it and it wasn't long before we both said "I Do." Now what were we to do? We came up with this great idea; or at least we thought it was at the time. I would take her back home and I too would go back home as though nothing had changed. I would pick her up for a date and we would go out and I was to bring her home and, and, and, we didn't know what to do. So we went to my wise aunt and explained to her that we had gotten married that day. She didn't say what we wanted to hear; I don't know what I wanted to hear although we did the right thing that night it didn't seem like it at the time. We were told to call our parents and tell them; do what! Call our parents; this was not going to be good at all. I can't remember who went first but I do remember hearing her mother on the phone as she said "WHAT!!" She wanted proof which she soon got as the marriage license was there in her bedroom; it was not going too good by this time so we stayed at my Aunts home that night and we faced the music the next day. In May of that year I received orders and would be gone, an 18 month tour of duty without her; that's wasn't good for us either; the only good about that was we had a baby in March of 1971, that helped. Then when I got back home I was shipped to Oklahoma where we finished up and I was discharged. Things were not looking good for us; remember she was an A student and I was ; well I already told you what she thought; anyways it looked like it was all fixing to be over. Then it happened, it wasn't planned but it happened just the same, I asked the Lord to come into my heart, forgive me of my sins and He did; and my life changed in a day forever. Well that beautiful young lady I have being telling you about who married a punk kid of the 60's know what happened to them? Well they stayed together had 3 beautiful children, that punk kid of the 60's went on to get a college degree from Immanuel Baptist Theological Seminary. She became a Pastor's wife for 25 years and made a punk kid look good {she is still doing that} at what the Lord called him to do. Today January 7, 2010 we will celebrate 40 years together and I can say that the last 40 years have flown by and she without a doubt is the love of my life. Who would have ever dreamed that this relationship would have ever made it? It wouldn't have if God had not been the center. She probably still thinks I'm a punk! She is still beautiful but she's not an A student anymore she has now become an A++++++!

Genesis 2:23
And Adam said, This is now bone of my bones, and flesh of my flesh: she shall be called Woman, because she was taken out of Man.

Genesis 2:24
Therefore shall a man leave his father and his mother, and shall cleave unto his wife: and they shall be one flesh.

No comments:

Post a Comment