Monday, January 18, 2010

Our Dwelling

When we were children we more than likely memorized what we called the Lord's Prayer which is found in Matthew chapter six and verses 9-13. As Church members we recited it. As students we may have even studied it. In these verses we have been provided more than a model for prayer, we have a model for living. These words do more than tell us what to say to God; they tell us how to exist with God.
Psalms 90:1
we see a prayer of Moses the man of God and this is what he had to say
Lord, thou hast been our dwelling place in all generations.

Moses didn't say in his generation but in all "generations;" and that my friend includes the generation that you and I are living in. Moses uses a very interesting word when he describes the Lord he called Him our dwelling place. This is what Webster had to say that dwelling means; DWELL'ING, ppr.
Inhabiting; residing; sojourning; continuing with fixed attention.

DWELL'ING, n.
Habitation; place of residence; abode.

            1. Continuance; residence; state of life.

In other words "Our Home!" There are three things about our home that's like no other place.

  1. It's a Private Place- Where we can relax and be comfortable and not worry what others might think, it a place where we can talk freely, it is a place where we can tell how we Feel; it's a place where we can talk about our Failures and not be judged. So the same should be true about our Lord.
  2. It's a Familiar Place- It's a place where no one has to tell you where things are for it a place you know very well. The same should be true about God for with time we can learn where to go for nourishment, where to hide for protection, where to turn for guidance. Is this not what our Lord should be to each of us?
  3. It's a Place of Refuge- Just as our home is a place of peace so is our God for we are told that He is our Refuge. Webster meaning of REF'UGE- Shelter or protection from danger or distress. That which shelters or protects from danger, distress or calamity; a strong hold which protects by its strength, or a sanctuary which secures safety by its sacredness; any place inaccessible to an enemy.

Psalms 9:9
The LORD also will be a refuge for the oppressed, a refuge in times of trouble.


Psalms 46:1
God is
our
refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble.

Psalms 57:1
Be merciful unto me, O God, be merciful unto me: for my soul trusteth in thee: yea, in the shadow of thy wings will I make my
refuge, until these calamities be overpast.

Psalms 59:16
But I will sing of thy power; yea, I will sing aloud of thy mercy in the morning: for thou hast been my defence and refuge in the day of my trouble.

Psalms 62:7
In God is my salvation and my glory: the rock of my strength, and
my
refuge, is in God.

It is Gods desire to be our Dwelling place; God is not interested in being a weekend getaway or a Sunday cabin or a summer cottage. He wants to be your point of reference
John 14:23
Jesus answered and said unto him, If a man love me, he will keep my words: and my Father will love him, and we will come unto him, and make our abode with him.
I'm afraid that too many times we think of God as a deity to discuss, but not a place to dwell. We think of God as a mysterious miracle worker, and not a house to live in. We think of God as a creator to call on, not a home to reside in. You may ask where I got that crazy idea. From our Bible, here read and you decide for yourself.

Acts 17:28 For
in him we live, and move, and have our being;
We will talk more tomorrow, have a good day and a blessed week.

No comments:

Post a Comment