Friday, January 14, 2011

Labor

We live in a day where we find people who want to have many things, but are not willing to work for them. They want something for nothing. They have not developed any character or have not been taught to be responsible. I grew up right outside of Atlanta in a place they called East Atlanta. I have wonderful memories of those first 18 years of my life. I was brought up in a good home with two loving parents. My dad was my hero and he taught me many important things. He taught me how to respect other people, he taught me how to work and he taught me how to laugh at myself which can be one of life's greatest blessings. I was reminded of that as I read this in the book of Proverbs chapter 14 and verse 23 In all labour(hard work) there is profit: (something gained)  but the talk of the lips tendeth only to penury(poverty).
 It is one thing to have goals and dreams and tell people what you are going to do but if all you do is talk about it then your talk is cheap. Talking requires no effort and talkers who are not walkers waste their time and the time of others. What if a hungry man stood on a bridge watching others fish? Noticing that one of those fishing baskets was full of fish asked him if he might have some of his fish so that he might make a small meal. The man fishing said I would be glad to if you will do me a small favor. The man said sure what is it? Tend this line a while for I have got some business down the street. Gladly the man accepted the offer and the other man left. After the man left the trout and bass continued to take the baited hook. Soon the man got excited about pulling in a large number of fish himself. When the other man returned, he said to the young man,"I’ll keep my promise to you by giving you everything you’ve caught, and I hope you’ve learned a lesson. Don’t waste time daydreaming and merely wishing for things. Instead, get busy and cast in a line for yourself." I am glad my dad taught me and my two brothers how to cast in a line for ourselves. My dad is still my top number one hero; hard work gains something and keeps you out of poverty. Know what? I am going to Church Sunday morning I’ll be there for Sunday School and then the Worship hour and then on Sunday night I will have the opportunity to present the Reformers Unanimous Addictions program at another Church who is interested in helping others. Pray for us and I might just see you in one of those places this Sunday; I’ll be looking for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment