Thursday, February 24, 2011

Appetite

The man who first climbed Mt. Everest said his reason for risking it was simply "because it was there." It was the second week in January and my daughter called and said her and the grand kids were going snowboarding. Now snowboarding to them was a garbage pale lid, some plastic garbage bags and a plastic float you use in a swimming pool. They came and picked me up and off we went.  My mind said you are too old, what if you break something, just stay home; but the kid in me said go for it, get out of the house and have some fun. So I did go for it. It was fun we were all sliding down this small hill and I must say the garbage pail lid was the fastest. My granddaughter said I think I will slide down that hill as she pointed to it and off she went. It was some more steep hill but she went down it. Then everyone else head toward that hill and began to go down it. Then the question was asked, did I want to take the garbage lid and slide down. I guess I said yes because the next thing I know my grandchildren are helping up the hill. When kids have to help you up a hill that should be an enough to tell you that you shouldn't be doing that. Once at the top I looked down; why does it always look higher standing at the top looking down than standing at the bottom looking up? I got in the lid and then was pushed and off I went traveling at the speed of 50 to 80 miles per hour; or that’s the way it seemed at the time. As I was traveling down the hill my mind said to me “what are you doing and what in the world were you thinking” to which I could only answer “I don’t know why I am doing this and I didn’t give it any thought what so ever.” I had a great time with my grandchildren and we all came home in one piece. Sometimes you and I do things just because they are there. We may be tempted to do wrong; sliding down a hill on a garbage pail lid wasn’t wrong but at the same time I was tempted. You see I had an appetite that day to slide on the snow, but we all have an appetite for something wrong. As Steve Curington said “before you did it you thunk it” and how true that is and the reason we thunk it was because we had an appetite for it. 
James 1:14  But every man is tempted, when he is drawn away of his own lust, and enticed.
James 1:15  Then when lust hath conceived, it bringeth forth sin: and sin, when it is finished, bringeth forth death.
We all have appetites for different things and those appetites if not controlled will led into sin that will hinder our relationship with our heavenly Father. Did you read that verse closely?  Drawn away of HIS OWN LUST not someone else’s but your very own and we all have different appetites.  Be careful out there today and don’t let your appetite get out of control. 

No comments:

Post a Comment