Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Captain

My dear wife, our children and myself had just left a small town in Kentucky, Lewis Port. We had just finished up a weekend of meetings and were on our way home.  Only 8-hours and we would be home. I, the captain behind the wheel was ready for the task; I thought. We stopped at the Golden Arches, I had coffee and off we went into the night. My wife asked; what I thought at the time was a dumb question, will you need me to help you drive? You, help me I thought! No was the answer, why I am captain of this ship. So she took some cold medicine and off to sleep she went. It was not long before everyone but I was a sleep. And then it happened I started hitting the little reflectors on the highway that is when I heard this voice, my wife asked are you getting sleepy? Yes, was the answer and the reply was I canʼt help you. Now we were about 50 miles into a 450 mile trip and I the captain was already losing control. The next thing I knew everyone in our little red van was asleep, and I do mean everyone! I the great captain was asleep at the wheel. Let me tell you this, it was a scary night and I did stop for the night to save us all from destruction.  
A lot of us want that control, not just of our vehicle, but of our lives. And no one's going to get our hands off the wheel of our life - including God. You've driven your life all these years, and you're not about to relinquish the wheel now. But all these years, the One who created you has been saying, "Isn't it about time you let Me drive?" And while you may have tried to keep God happy by being religious, you have stubbornly tightened your fingers around the wheel. The one who gave us life is supposed to be running our life. It may be that youʼve insisted on driving your life which leads to an important warning from God!
Pro 29:1  He, that being often reproved hardeneth his neck(a person who will not bend after many warnings), shall suddenly be destroyed, and that without remedy. (broken beyond repair) Had I not stopped driving that night I nor my family would not be here today.  Who is really in control? You may say, well I am! Oh no, there is a time to be born and there is a time to die and you have not control over either. So who does?

No comments:

Post a Comment