Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Sophisticated Millionaires


Have you ever gone somewhere just because you had too? You had rather not have gone but it was required that you be there so off you went. While there in your sophisticated manner while looking around you notice someone who was backwards and homey making sounds like Oooh, Oooooeeee,  boy look at that one, while pointing their finger. “This past weekend I had to attend some classes.  I didn’t want to but I had to. I had no choice because it was what they call continuing educational hours and I am required to have so many hours. Yes, two days of it and one night in a motel. Did I say it was fun? I didn’t think so. As I stood in line to get my card read; yes they wanted to make sure you were there and no they were not going to take your word for it you had to be scanned in. As I looked around I saw others just like myself sophisticated, professional. Then I saw him, I was getting closer toward this Gomer Pyle looking feller just a smiling saying, “Oooh, boy look at that line.” He was there for the same reason I was, getting those hours. He was more, you see he had volunteered to help out and he was in charge of controlling a scanner, not only did I not want to be here it looked as if I might not get credit either. I noticed something during the day as we were scanned in and out I found myself looking for him during the day and watching him, he was having a blast. On Saturday morning as I entered the building there he was, but this day he was different he now had on this dumb looking  pointed hillbilly hat with all kinds of things hanging from it. Ok, I couldn’t help it I laughed. My daughter said I wish I could get a picture of him. I said go over there and take one. I’m sure he won’t care, but she wouldn’t do it. I said I’ll go take one for you so off I went, I walked up to him and said let me get a picture and he posed for the picture. I then began talking to him; can you imagine a sophisticated person like me talking to a dumb looking guy like this, what will others think? After talking with him I realized he was there for the same purpose as me but he was enjoying the time while I was there wishing I was somewhere else. The lesson I learned was I must be and go to places I don’t really want to be, but if I would just let some of that Gomer Pyle attitude rub off on me I would enjoy the journey. You see that is what he was doing. I had made the trip but missed the journey. The Apostle Paul was in many places he didn’t really want to be, like prison, shipped wrecked and many other places. In every place he made the best out of the journey.
Philippians 1:6 Being confident of this very thing, that he which hath begun a good work in you will perform it until the day of Jesus Christ:
You see Paul’s confidence wasn’t in what others were thinking of him or in himself. His confidence was in what Jesus Christ was doing in his life on a daily basis. I’m afraid too many times I get caught up in what others would think if I, say wore a pointed hillbilly hat with things stuck all over it. That man didn’t give a care what others were thinking he was just enjoying life looking dumb. Come to think of it I have a good friend that’s like that. He and his family came to spend time with us a few summers back. They wanted to see Downtown Atlanta so off we went. Our first stop was a nice 5-star hotel. They rode in the glass elevators while screaming like they were on a roller coaster at an amusement park. We then went to the conference area and yes, there was some type of conference going on. When we arrived there were a bunch of 25 cent sophisticated millionaires walking around impressing one another. My friend not realizing or caring walked in the middle of a bunch talking. He stops looks up and says “WELL PRAISEEEE GOD!” They all ran as if you had shot a shotgun, he never noticed and I just laughed. You see he too was enjoying the journey and had joy in the journey.  I don’t know about you but I need more of that type of an attitude.

No comments:

Post a Comment