Tuesday, November 13, 2012

The Weights


He enters the arena ready to run the race; the weights that would hold him back have been left behind. The spectators are in their seats waiting for the race to start. Winning is on the mind of every runner, every preparation has been made that could have been made and today is the day to run your best. The gun is fired and the runners are off no matter how hard the runners have trained for this day at the end of the race there will only be one winner. Ok, we’re not running in a race but think about it for a minute what if one of those runners’ weaknesses was a snickers bar and he was offered three of them as he entered the building. Do you think the runner might think I’ll eat just one before I run or do you at least think that it would cross his mind? What that runner needs at this moment is a way of escape. In the Lord’s Prayer the Lord closes the prayer by saying this;
Matthew 6:13 And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil: For thine is the kingdom, and the power, and the glory, for ever. Amen.  Lord help me when my weakness comes in the form of temptation. Lord please deliver me from the evil this temptation will bring into my life and Lord help me with my thoughts because you are the power and the glory forever. Is this not what is being said in Hebrews?
Hebrews 12:1 Wherefore seeing we also are compassed about with so great a cloud of witnesses, let us lay aside every weight, and the sin which doth so easily beset us, and let us run with patience the race that is set before us,
Hebrews 12:2 Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith; who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God.
The key is looking unto Jesus, not our friends, or even ourselves but Jesus.
1Corintains 10:13  There hath no temptation taken you but such as is common to man: but God is faithful, who will not suffer you to be tempted above that ye are able; but will with the temptation also make a way to escape, that ye may be able to bear it.
What’s the way of escape? Simple; it is “looking unto Jesus!” David put it this way;
Psalms 119:9 Wherewithal shall a young man cleanse his way? by taking heed thereto according to thy word.
Psalms 119:10 With my whole heart have I sought thee: O let me not wander from thy commandments?
Psalms 119:11 Thy word have I hid in mine heart, that I might not sin against thee.
Psalms 119:12 Blessed art thou, O LORD: teach me thy statutes.
Isaiah 26:3 Thou wilt keep him in perfect peace, whose mind is stayed on thee: because he trusteth in thee.
Who are you going to trust? 

No comments:

Post a Comment