Friday, June 9, 2023

I’ll Do What I Say!

Those who do not love the Lord will not help us serve the Lord.

Have you ever said something you meant but when the time came to do it you didn’t? That’s what happened with Simon Peter: he told Jesus he would die for him. John 13:37 (KJV) Peter said unto him, Lord, why cannot I follow thee now? I will lay down my life for thy sake. At that moment Peter believed he would. I remember the first Church I was a member of after I got saved, Eastland Heights Baptist Church in Atlanta. Every Wednesday night service they took up an offering for missionaries. I remember telling the Lord as a young Christian that on Wednesday night I would give all the cash I had in my pocket for that purpose. Well all was good until one Wednesday night, the one before Thanksgiving Day. We had gotten paid that day and we’re off until the following Monday. I went to the bank after work and cashed my check as I did every Friday except this wasn’t Friday it was Wednesday. Well I’m sure you see where this is going. Wednesday night and it came time for the offering and I reached into my pocket and then realized I had my paycheck in cash in my pocket. OoooooH No! How do I explain to my wife what I had promised the Lord? I would like to tell you that I did what I had promised the Lord I would do, but I didn’t. So when I read what Peter said I understand it better. Be careful what you say you will do because you may not do it. The Lord knew when I said that, that Wednesday before Thanksgiving was coming. Just like He knew Peter was about to meet Three women to whom he would repeat three times, Jesus, no I don’t know that man! But you know what? Jesus still loved Peter and used him. You know what? that same Lord and Savior forgave me and is still using me. Don’t give up on yourself for Jesus is greater than all our troubles.

No comments:

Post a Comment