Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Lifting Up

Dr. Harry Ironside tells a story about a man who lived in a small country town in England. One day, he went to London where he would need to stay for several days. He was glad to be there on a Sunday because that gave him an opportunity to hear some of the great preachers of that day. He wrote home to his wife, and he said: "Last Sunday morning I went to hear Dr. Jones, and in the evening I went to the Metropolitan Tabernacle to hear Charles Spurgeon. I was so greatly impressed by both of them. Dr. Jones is certainly a great preacher, but Mr. Spurgeon has a great Savior." After reading that I have to ask myself who people are impressed with after they have been around me for awhile. Are they impressed with me or are they impressed with my Savior; Jesus? What kind of impact is my life leaving in the lives of others? The Apostle Paul put it this way
2Corinthians 4:5
For we preach not ourselves, but Christ Jesus the Lord; and ourselves your servants for Jesus' sake.
It's not about me, it's all about Jesus. Something is wrong if we use Jesus to make a name for ourselves to impress other people. If we do that I think we would be hijacking His glory! Paul was not interested in knowing anything among you. Could he be saying that he was not interested in knowing all about their dirt but that they knew who Jesus was? 1Corinthians 2:2
For I determined not to know any thing among you, save Jesus Christ, and him crucified
Paul determined that others knew about what Jesus had done for them. Paul says "take them to the cross, take them to the empty tomb and let them see Jesus; make Jesus the subject, keep Jesus the subject. It's not religion so don't let that become the main topic of your conversation. So who are we going to be today Dr. Jones or Charles Spurgeon? I'll be honest with you I don't know that I have ever heard of a Dr. Jones in London but I have heard of a Charles Spurgeon. Which one of those men have left the biggest impact on my life? Why Charles Spurgeon and the reason why is that he uplifted the name of Jesus; Jesus said in John 12:32
And I, if I be lifted up from the earth, will draw all men unto me.
Who am I lifting up? Who will I lift up today? How about you; which one are you!

No comments:

Post a Comment