Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Designated

In 1973, Major League Baseball’s American League adopted the designated hitter, a position that allows the pitcher to drop from the batting order and be replaced by a hitter who is inserted into any slot in the lineup. I loved (notice past tense) to play baseball then in my 30’s softball. A few years ago I was visiting a very good friend of mine in another state. I had been there about a day when he told me that the Church he was pastor of had a softball game and asked if I would like to come and watch. Before we left he said to me our third baseman was not going to be able to make it; then he asked if I would play with them in this game; I guess I became a designated player for them.  I jumped on it and told him I would and told him that was the position I played when I played softball with our Church. So off we go; I can’t tell you how excited I was. Soon I found myself at my old position; the first ball was pitched and hit and on its way down the third base line I could hear it coming and that is when I realized that I shouldn’t be doing this. The last time I was playing third base I didn’t have on bifocals; let me just say that this was not the best game I had played and may I say it’s been the last! I retired from being a designated player. I am afraid that we have a lot of designated Church attendees in our churches; I mean they make it to Sunday morning worship almost every week but they ride the pine Sunday and Wednesday nights. Wonder what this verse actually means  
Hebrews 10:25  Not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as the manner of some is; but exhorting one another: and so much the more, as ye see the day approaching.
Let me explain; We should not stop gathering together with other believers as some are doing. But we must continue to encourage each other, and even more  as we see the soon coming of our Lord. Don’t become a designated Church attendee get involved know the people and start new friendships. You’ll be glad you did. 

No comments:

Post a Comment