Monday, May 23, 2011

Just One

God sends His opportunities to us in small packages sometimes and if we aren’t careful we will miss them. In John chapter 4 we read about Jesus leaving Judaea and  going to Galilee; but before He arrives the Bible tell us that He must do something.
John 4:4  And he must needs go through Samaria. As we read on we are told about a very interesting adventure; Jesus is tired and His disciples head out looking for something to eat. Then we read about this one woman as she comes to draw water from the well. Now get the picture it’s just Jesus and the woman, just two there at the well. Now Jesus knew what this woman needed and it wasn’t what she had come to get.
John 4:10  Jesus answered and said unto her, If thou knewest the gift of God, and who it is that saith to thee, Give me to drink; thou wouldest have asked of him, and he would have given thee living waterShe didn’t understand exactly what Jesus meant but before this day is over she will have that living water. Jesus asked her to go and get her husband.
John 4:16  Jesus saith unto her, Go, call thy husband, and come hither.
 She responds
John 4:17  The woman answered and said, I have no husband.
Jesus answered her back and said unto her, Thou hast well said, I have no husband:
John 4:18  For thou hast had five husbands; and he whom thou now hast is not thy husband: in that saidst thou truly.
Jesus did two things here that we should learn from. First of all Jesus didn’t say to her “what I have got to say; well really I need to have at least 2 or 3 here before it will be worth my time."
Second, Jesus didn’t condemn her for her failed marriages nor did He spend time telling her about her present failure. She already knew what she had done wasn’t right; she didn’t need to be scolded she needed life and Jesus knew you don’t win people by destroying them. It would be good if we would learn that. There are people we could help but we may look and say “well it’s just one person” never stopping to think what an opportunity God has given me that I have this one on one time. Jesus spent His time winning her to Himself and when it’s over we find this woman leaving her water pots there at the well and running into town telling about what she had just experienced; I’d say she got that living water. Now there is something else I want you to see. Jesus never told her to quit what she was doing; He never said to her “now go home and tell your boy friend he’s got to get out. NO! We don’t know what she did but I have a strong feeling it was over because the Bible says we shall know them by the fruits they bear.
Matthew 7:16  Ye shall know them by their fruits.
Did we see a change in this woman? Sure did!
John 4:28  The woman then left her waterpot, and went her way into the city, and saith to the men, (Could it be men were her problem?)
John 4:29  Come, see a man, which told me all things that ever I did: is not this the Christ?
She came to the well that day with problems going on in her life, she didn’t go that day looking for the giver of life. I don’t know about you but I like her had a life that was full of shame and problems; my heart was sad and full of sin. I didn’t get up that morning saying “I know what I’ll do I’ll go to church because there I know there will be help.” No! I didn’t go looking for the life giver but the lifer giver came to me and I was the only one that morning out of maybe a 100 people who took Him at His word. That day my heart was changed and because of a heart change I had a life change; just like that woman at the well. Maybe this week we could see people differently not so much as what they are doing but what they could be doing for the cause of Christ. For we are all sinners
Romans 3:10  As it is written, There is none righteous, no, not one:  So don't think of yourself as a good sinner, for the Bible says "There is none righteous, no, not one; not even you!"

No comments:

Post a Comment