Tuesday, September 8, 2009

The Bogeyman

Did you ever have trouble when you were younger with maybe the bogeyman and things that go bump in the night? I remember one night when I was about 12 years old my brother, my dad, my uncle and a bunch of others were sitting around a camp fire; when my uncle told me that he would give me $100.00 if I would go to the creek and get a hand full of wet sand. Now the creek was maybe 500 yards from where we were; and I sure would like to have a $100. But between me and that creek was nothing but darkness. As bad as I hated it I had to recline for I wanted to keep my life safe from the monsters that may be just leering around who knows what tree or valley. Now today I wouldn't even give that a second thought I would say "I'll take that in cash please and I'll be right back with a bucket of wet sand." I am sure we all had some childhood fears at one time or another and as adults we can laugh off those fears that seemed so real as a child. But the fact is that many adults experience something very similar. After the lights go out and the sound of silence fills the room, we are forced to face things that hid themselves in our busy day. No not the monsters of our childhood but the grown up monsters of deadlines, pressure at work, addictions, abuse, declining health, unemployment or the fact that tomorrow you may be asked to clean out your deck. Fear invades your sleep and if you let it, it will soon zap your strength. So what does our heavenly Father have to say about fear? 2Timothy 1:7 For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind. If fear does not come from God would you like to take a guess then where it comes from?

1John 4:18 There is no fear in love; but perfect love casteth out fear: because fear hath torment. He that feareth is not made perfect in love.

Psalms 118:6 The LORD is on my side; I will not fear: what can man do unto me?

1Corintains 14:33 For God is not the author of confusion, but of peace, as in all churches of the saints.

Wow! Did you get all that? Fear will torment you if you let it. It has the possibility of taking away your sound thinking. But wait God has not given us the spirit of fear, but He has given us the power to have a sound mind. His love will case out fears {did you get that "FEARS"}! That's plural meaning more than one. Did you understand that the Lord is on your side and because of that we are not to have fear! For God is not the author of confusion but of peace so if He is not the author of confusion who pray tell do you think is? Let me close with this Psalms 23:1
The LORD is my shepherd; I shall not want.

Psalms 23:2 He maketh me to lie down in green pastures: he leadeth me beside the still waters.

Psalms 23:3 He restoreth my soul: he leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for his name's sake.

Psalms 23:4 Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me.

Psalms 23:5 Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies: thou anointest my head with oil; my cup runneth over.

Psalms 23:6 Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life: and I will dwell in the house of the LORD for ever.

No comments:

Post a Comment