Monday, September 21, 2009

I Know Her Best

On Monday and Tuesday of last week I wrote about worship and the more I look at this area I am finding out that this may be an area that we must look further into. I would like to look at what the meaning of worship is. First I would like to give an illustration that maybe will help us.

A building was on fire on the top story, a young woman was seen standing at the window crying for help; her case was hopeless. A young fireman sees and hears her cries mounted a ladder and at the risk of his own life, brought her to safety. In all the excitement the young lady forgot to thank her rescuer for his act of bravery. On the next day she called him to thank him for what he had done. Soon a friendship developed and ripened into love, to which an engagement followed and one day they both stood before a marriage altar and were married. Now this lady never allowed herself to forget that this fireman was her savior and that, not for him, she might have been burned to death; but he was now much more to her than a savior: he was her husband, her lover, her companion through all her troubles and her all in all.

In a way Worship is much similar to that of this young lady. One day we see our need for a Savior and we ask for forgiveness of our sin and He forgives us. But we need more than that and we get that by spending time in our Bibles and allowing the Lord to speak to us so we might get to know Him. That is what the Apostle Paul was saying in Philippians 3:10
That I may know him, and the power of his resurrection, and the fellowship of his sufferings, being made conformable unto his death;
This is what David was saying in Psalm 119:9
Wherewithal shall a young man cleanse his way? By taking heed thereto according to thy word.

Psalm 119:10
With my whole heart have I sought thee: O let me not wander from thy commandments.

Psalm 119:11
Thy word have I hid in mine heart, that I might not sin against thee.

The better we know Him the better we understand. Think about it for a moment from a human stand point. I have been married to the same woman for almost 40 years. Let's say that you were introduced to her today for the first time; who do you think would know her best? You would say that I would of course. Well, why do you think that would be? It would be because I know her and over the last 39 years have been studying her and spending time with her. I know her favorite color, her favorite place to eat, what she likes to do and the places she enjoys going to just to name a few. The reason we don't know much about Jesus is that we just don't spend much time learning about Him. I have discovered that many are pretty sure that they are on their way to heaven but there still remains a small amount of doubt. That can't be we must know for sure and the Bible says we can 1John 5:12
He that hath the Son hath life; and he that hath not the Son of God hath not life.

1John 5:13
These things have I written unto you that believe on the name of the Son of God; that ye may know that ye have eternal life, and that ye may believe on the name of the Son of God.

1John 5:14
And this is the confidence that we have in him, that, if we ask any thing according to his will, he heareth us:
Do you understand? Do you have the Son? "ye may know that ye have eternal life" "and this is the confidence that we that we have in him." There is no room for any doubt, this you must be sure of. I enjoy knowing more about the one I love so I spend time in my Bible and Pray and I have learned how I might know Him better. How well do you know Him {Jesus}?

#1-Prayer -is the occupation of the soul with it needs. {Lord, save my soul}

#2-Praise- is the occupation of the soul with its blessings. {Thank you, Lord, for saving my soul}

#3-Worship- is the occupation of the soul with God Himself. {Thank you, Lord, for what Thou art}

1 comment: