Tuesday, September 1, 2009

That’s the same way Jesus felt

Like I promised on yesterday; how did Jesus' disciples handle the fear that was to be upon them?

Matthew 8:23
And when he
(Jesus) was entered into a ship, his disciples followed him.

Now finally they are safe and have entered into the ship with Jesus; you couldn't be any saver could you? But as we read the next verse notice what it doesn't say "and behold a great rainbow was seen in the sky, a flock of doves were in happy formation, the sea like glass calm as a cruise on the Caribbean. No that's not what we are told. That's how many think; now that I am saved, one of God's children things will be great never another heart break, always money in the bank account never ever will there be unhappiness in my life. Wait, wait before you get to carried way thinking nothing ever again will go wrong in my life read John 16:33
These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world.
James 1:2
My brethren, count it all joy when ye fall into divers temptations;
Christians have heart attacks, Battle addictions, Bury their Children, we have incurable diseases and we face fears, and we also die! Here these disciples are and all is well until we read the next verse Mat 8:24
And, behold, there arose a great tempest in the sea, insomuch that the ship was covered with the waves: but he was asleep.
What was it, a "Great Tempest?" Remember this tempest is at earthquake proportions this ship was being agitated from side to side to and fro up and down. Are you getting the picture? Water is coming on board things look real bad; Then comes the question where is Jesus? Know where they find Him? Asleep! Then with a voice to get over all the sounds at sea, the storm and the screaming of the disciples this is what we read. Mat 8:25 And his disciples came to him, and awoke him, saying, Lord,
save us:
we perish.
They don't ask Jesus for Strength; they don't ask Him to still the storm; they don't ask Him for Knowledge or Wisdom; they don't ask if He is aware of the Storm. No! No! They now have doubts about Jesus and His character: Don't you care we are going to perish. That is what Fear Does- it clouds our confidence in the Goodness of God, It confuses our control "Do something, Do something, will somebody please do something! Fear dulls our Miracle Memory! These disciples have let what they saw and heard before the storm slip from their minds it's now Lord, Save us, we perish. As I read that I wonder how many times I have let the fears of today rob me of the blessing I had on yesterday and the day before that. Fear can cause us not to remember the past and focus on the present. I am reminded of what John 10:10
tells me The thief cometh not, but for to steal, and to kill, and to destroy: I must say he does a great job at it but you and I must not forget the rest of that verse for it says something of much importance I (Jesus) am come that they might have life, and that they might have it more abundantly. Jesus had control during the storm just as He will have during our storms. Mat 8:26
And he saith unto them, Why are ye fearful, O ye of little faith? Then he arose, and rebuked the winds and the sea; and there was a great calm.
I don't want you to think that fear does not have a purpose, for it does. Signs, read Danger high voltage, No smoking while you are pumping gas, stay away from the edge, swift currents, rip tides…. Fear is not sin; but it can lead to sin. Too many medicate fear with anger, Alcohol, self starvation, drugs; unhealthy fear is not from God 2Timothy 1:7
For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind.
Fear will always be around don't you invite it in. When I was about 10 years old I went with a bunch of neighborhood boys to the theater to see a movie about Frankenstein and that afternoon I allowed fear to enter in. Life for years to come would never be the same. I become afraid of the dark, the man in Red, and any one that was dead. And just as you're thinking right now "that's crazy, why were you so fearful of something that was nothing. That's the same way Jesus felt toward His disciples and He said so "Why are ye fearful, O ye of little faith?
"

No comments:

Post a Comment