Thursday, October 8, 2009

Gratitude Verses Attitude

Gratitude will change your Attitude. The word Gratitude means an emotion of the heart, excited by a favor or benefit received; a sentiment of kindness or good will towards a benefactor; thankfulness.

We all have storms come through our lives and we must never allow our storms to rain on others parades. I read a story not long ago that told of a man by the name of Jack having a bad day. He had a flat tire on the way to work that cost him an hour of work. Then his electric saw quit, and then his pickup truck refused to start. Another man by the name of Ed asked if he could take him home, to which he was told he could. As Ed was driving him home he noticed that Jack just sat there in a stony silence. When they arrived at his home he was asked if he would like to come in and meet his family. As they walked toward the front door, Jack paused at a small tree, touching tips of the branches with both hands. When he opened the door, Jack underwent an amazing transformation. His face lit up with a smile as he hugged his two small children and gave his wife a kiss. As Jack walked Ed back to his car they went back by that tree, Ed stopped and asked Jack about what he had seen earlier. Jack said "Oh, that's my trouble tree." I know I can't keep from having troubles but there is one thing for sure, those troubles don't belong in that house with my wife and children. So I just hang them up on the tree every night when I come home. Then in the morning I pick them up again. But you know when I come out in the morning to pick them up, there are not nearly as many as I remember hanging up the night before. That's what we all need a trouble tree like Jack had so our attitude could change before our troubles rubbed off on others. We could also have a Glad List or a Gratitude List it too will change our attitude. It would be easy to make one; here are a few things I am glad for. #1- I'm glad I have a home to come to each night.

#2- I'm glad I have a loving wife I get to spend time with. #3- I'm glad I have 3 wonderful children that love me. #4- I'm glad I have grandchildren that love me. #5 - I'm glad I have a dog that loves to see me coming. If you stop and think about it we have more to rejoice over than the troubles that come our way.

Proverbs 3:1
My son, forget not my law; but let thine heart keep my commandments:

Proverbs 3:2
For length of days, and long life, and peace, shall they add to thee.

Proverbs 3:3
Let not mercy and truth forsake thee: bind them about thy neck; write them upon the table of thine heart:

Proverbs 3:4
So shalt thou find favour and good understanding in the sight of God and man.

Proverbs 3:5
Trust in the LORD with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding.

Proverbs 3:6
In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths.

Proverbs 3:7
Be not wise in thine own eyes: fear the LORD, and depart from evil.

Proverbs 3:8
It shall be health to thy navel, and marrow to thy bones.

Proverbs 3:9
Honour the LORD with thy substance, and with the first fruits of all thine increase:

Proverbs 3:10
So shall thy barns be filled with plenty, and thy presses shall burst out with new wine.

Now that I'm in the Family of God I should not forget God's law; by putting them in my heart for good keepings. As David said long ago Psalms 119:11
Thy word have I hid in mine heart, that I might not sin against thee. The promise is that my life will be longer and peace will be added to me. I must be careful for there is a possibility that I could allow His mercy and truth to forsake me. In order for that not to happen I must tie God's word in my heart and then I will find favor and good understanding with God and also with man. By doing this I will be able to trust in the Lord and not my own understanding. I will acknowledge the Lord and He will direct my paths so that I will not become wise in my own eyes. Therefore I will depart from evil and will honor the Lord with my substance and all my increase. Because I am no longer depending on myself but the Lord, my barns will have plenty and I will have more joy than I thought possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment