Friday, October 9, 2009

Strange

Ever seen someone you thought was strange? There was a man who lived 2 doors up from where I was raised and I always thought he was a little strange. In the middle of the day he would say see you boys in the morning good night. I always thought that was strange. Then there was the lady I wrote of earlier that always talked with herself, I thought that was strange. But read this and then ask yourself is this not strange. James 1:2 My brethren, count it all joy when ye fall into divers temptations;
Do what? "Count it all joy when you fall into divers temptations." I think it is strange that the words "joy" and "temptations" are in the same verse and how in the world can one be joyous when temptations comes? You did notice that the word temptation is plural didn't you? Oh, look here is an area in my life where I am weak and man is it going to make me joyous. How? Shouldn't we try to stay away from temptations? Maybe not! Let me explain; when I was in school the teacher would give me test and this test always showed me as well as the teacher where or how far along I was. In like manner the Lord allows temptation to come our way so we can see how far we have come. I have a close friend who has quit smoking and today is his twelfth day of being smoke free. Now do you think he has had any temptation to light one up? You better know he has and for twelve days in a row he has not given in to that temptation. For twelve days now he has passed the test that has been set before him. In like manner you and I are tempted in areas of our lives; for they are going to come James 1:14
But every man is tempted, when he is drawn away of his own lust, and enticed.
So each and every one of us is tempted by our own desires and then they lure us away and before we know it we are entrapped. There is no joy in entrapment there is no joy in being drawn away; so where does this joy come from?

James 1:3
Knowing this, that the trying of your faith worketh patience.

James 1:4 But let patience have her perfect work, that ye may be perfect and entire, wanting nothing. Here is something we need to know; our faith is going to be tried and faith that is not tried is not faith. When the temptation comes we are not to let it lure us away for if it does we will fail, but in this temptation we are to have patience and let patience have her perfect work. Did you see the last part of that verse "wanting nothing?" The more we give in the more we want; when lust comes then desire comes and then we are entrapped and we failed the test. We then will have to work on that lust and desire again until we pass the test. Tomorrow my friend will be tempted, he will have a desire to smoke and only with God's help can he overcome that temptation. My temptation will not be a smoking test and you may not have that temptation either but the temptation or temptations will come; how will you do? How will you do this weekend? Are you trying to pass or are you being lured like a big bass chasing that rubber worm thinking it will bring him happiness only to find it has brought him entrapment. If you don't work at passing the test you will fail and never have the patience you need.

1 comment: