Tuesday, October 6, 2009

They Missed Him

I used to play soft ball and loved it; I played third base and not much got by me, but that was before glasses. A few years ago I was visiting one of my close friends in Indiana when he told me they had a softball game and asked if I would like to come and watch. I said yes and off we went. When we got there they were short a player and he asked if I would play. I said yes, he asked what position I played and I told him third base; so to third base I went. It was not long before the ball was coming my way, I could hear it whistling across the ground toward me. It was then I realized I had no business out there. I made it through that inning and then it was my time to bat, and this is where I shined; I wonder if I would hit a home run or maybe a triple if not a double for sure. But that day I did something I had never done in softball, I struck out. I couldn't believe it! I missed that big ball three times and was out. I learned something very important that day; my ball career was over and to this day I have only played two or three more times. Like I said it was before I wore glasses not just glasses but bifocals and that changes the whole outlook. As I tell you that I am reminded of some others that missed something. No! It wasn't softball, it was much more important than any ball game could ever be. It was when the Lord Jesus came into this world. Jesus came into the world with so many identification tags on Him that it seems no one could miss recognizing Him as the promised Messiah. His coming had been foretold in hundreds of prophecies. The theologians of that day should have immediately recognized Him. His coming was the theme of all the Old Testament prophecies and Scriptures. The prophets had foretold the tribe from which He would come, the line of His genealogy, the place where He would be born in Bethlehem, even prophesied His virgin birth. Yet, when He came, they missed Him entirely. We too are living in a day such as that, signs of His return are all around us just as the Bible tells us.
Luke 17:26-
And as it was in the days of Noah, so shall it be also in the days of the Son of man.

Luke 17:27- They did eat, they drank, they married wives, they were given in marriage, until the day that Noah entered into the ark, and the flood came, and destroyed them all.

Just as it was in the days of Noah! They ate; so do we. When I was a kid we didn't go out and eat very much. Things are very different now. They married wives; the divorce was very high just as it is today. Three out of five marriages end up in divorce; that is more than half. We see the signs and just like those in the past many will miss it. That is so sad for we have had so many opportunities and when He comes make sure you are not one of the ones who miss Him. I hope to meet you in the air.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment