Friday, October 23, 2009

The Same Level

It has been fun as well as educational to watch our children and grandchildren grow up; did I say grow up? Sure I did, for that is what I was hoping to see happen over the course of time. I noticed something while they were growing up that because they were healthy children they were never content to stay at the same level. It's wasn't long before they were not content with baby food they wanted some of what we were eating and then they want to feed themselves. Then they were not satisfied with crawling and wanted to walk so they kept working at it until they were taking steps of their own and then they were running. I was glad they grew one step at a time. But that is not always the case with the child of God? I have seen too many just settle down and quit growing and get content where they are. Peter talks about new born babies in Christ 1Peter 2:2 As newborn babes, desire the sincere milk of the word, that ye may grow thereby: Peter believed that new Christians should have a desire for knowing about what their Bibles had to say. Peter wrote First and Second Peter and as he closes out his writing in Second Peter he say this 2Peter 3:18 But grow in grace, and in the knowledge of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ. To him be glory both now and forever. Amen.

He warns in the verse before that there is a possibility of being led away "beware lest ye also, being led away with the error of the wicked, fall from your own stedfastness." {Firm position}

We can grow in the knowledge of our Lord and Savior and then be led away by the error of the wicked so that we would chance our firm position. How could this happen? Let me explain it this way. I knew a man who for a long time worked out daily and after a while it was very noticeable, not only in the shape of his body but also in his strength. He could do more, hold out longer for he was watching what he ate and he kept working at his goal. Then one day he just quit, his eating habits began to change his plan went out the window with his goals and before long it showed in his body and his strength. The same thing can and does happen to the Child of God, so what is going to keep it from happening to me or you? Philippians 3:13
Brethren, I count not myself to have apprehended:
{ I can't consider myself a winner yet} but this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, { I don't look back} and reaching forth unto those things which are before,

Philippians 3:14
I press toward the mark
{I run straight toward the goal} for the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus. Paul never considers himself to have won and kept learning and growing in the knowledge of Jesus Chirist. Maybe you've been coasting at the same spiritual speed for a while; you've been content with mediocrity - with crawling. But you're restless. God has made you restless. He has so much more for you. It's time to get on your knees and say, "Jesus, I'm not content where I am anymore. As that young man said to the older Christian "I want what I see in you" the older Christian said "it's yours for the taking, but it's not free it will cost you, but it will be well worth your time, I assure you." Spend your time with the turkeys if you like but remember you will never sore with the eagles doing that. What's your desire? Have you been led away? If so it's time to get back to where you belong and start walking again. Small compromises lead to great disasters.


 


 


 

2 comments:

  1. amazing how God answers prayer through this blog... I was just praying about my eating problems and He showed me how it also applies to the spiritual... wow...now I know to pray for both and am expecting victory Thanks for letting God use you in sharing your heart!

    ReplyDelete
  2. praise the Lord. he has been convicting me of my medeocricy because of hypocrisy and not being the freind i should in leading and teling others about Him. thank you.

    ReplyDelete