Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Feel Good

A few years ago my wife and I were on our way to Indiana where we were to do a marriage conference. I had to been to Indiana many times and knew the way; it got real quiet in our car and as I looked over I noticed that my wife had gone to sleep. With no talking going on I also began to get sleepy but didn't feel that I was too sleepy to drive or at least that is what I thought. After a while I began to notice things I had never seen and the expressway I thought I was on had now become a two lane road. While I was trying to figure out where I had gone wrong, wouldn't you know it my wife woke up? She asked a question that I didn't have an answer for; it was simply "where in the world are we." I wished I had had a better answer than "I don't know" but that was the truth. Somewhere in Chattanooga I took a road I shouldn't have and now 35 miles later I had no clue to where I was. We pulled over and got the roadmap out and wouldn't you know it there was no way to cut across so that meant 35 miles back which means I went 70 miles out of the way. I thought I was going the right way when all the time I was headed in the wrong direction. As I thought about that I thought about what Proverbs says in

Proverbs 14:12
There is a way which seemeth right unto a man, but the end thereof are the ways of death.


The Bible reveals that many people are driving on a road they think will get them to God and that will get them to heaven, but they are just like I was that day. I just knew I was going the right way while all the time I was headed in the wrong direction. I wasn't doing anything wrong; I was just going the wrong way. Many times we allow our feelings or what our religion says is the way but this is one thing we can't afford to be wrong about. Eternity is a very long time. You know our feelings don't have anything to do with whether or not we are going to heaven. In the book of Matthew we read about a group of good people who were doing good things but they received some sad news.

Matthew 7:22
Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? And in thy name have cast out devils? And in thy name done many wonderful works?

Matthew 7:23
And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.

On Judgment Day there will be people who knew lots of Christian things, did lots of Christian things, who never really knew Jesus. They had the religion, but they missed the relationship. They had Christianity, but they missed Christ. You see I wasn't doing anything wrong, I wasn't speeding, smoking, drinking, using Gods name in vain I was doing good just going the wrong way. You see it's not about you and I and what we do, it's all about Jesus Christ and what He has already done.

Titus 3:5
Not by works of righteousness which we have done, (not by anything we have done to gain his approval) but according to his mercy he saved us, by the washing of regeneration, and renewing of the Holy Ghost; Contrary to what so many think, being good is not the way to get to heaven. For what is good and how would we know if we were doing good? Who's set the rules? If I had a piece of wood in my hand and I asked you how long it was you might say it is 2 feet long I asked another and they said 18 inches. Who is to say which one is right and which one is wrong or they may both be wrong. But then there comes a young man and we ask him and he says well it looks like about 2 feet but let me measure it with my tape measure. No I was wrong it is only 22 inches. Now who are we going to believe, the tape measure of course. If good is the way then where is the standard. Good is not the way for the Bible says

John 14:6
Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me. Which road are you on! The road paved with good feelings; or the road that has faith in Jesus Christ?

No comments:

Post a Comment