Friday, June 11, 2010

Treated Right

Was it Wednesday June 2, 2010 that a perfect game was almost pitched by Detroit Tigers pitcher Armando Galarraga? But Jim Joyce missed the call at first base on the 27th out and called the runner safe. What a great blog this would make! I thought living what we call a perfect life but by failing to call on the Lord Jesus our so called perfect life goes up in smoke. Then I thought not a one of us are perfect we have all made mistakes and some even costless. Then what happened on the next day should have allowed all of us to see what real forgiveness is. A baseball pitcher truly robbed of a perfect game by an umpire who was deeply sorry for his mistake caused a revival by the players and managers as well as the fans. Joyce botched the call big-time on the 27th out of a would-be perfect game. First, the umpire sees the replay and admits his mistake and shows great feeling for how his mistake wronged the pitcher; the pitcher realizes that everyone makes a mistake and forgives him in as classy a way as possible. The Tigers players and manager apologize for their in-the-heat-of-the-moment anger and disappointment and praise Joyce as an upstanding guy and a good umpire. In a show of great compassion, they send the pitcher out there the next game to present the lineup card to support the umpire. Tiger's fans applaud the umpire as he takes the field in a moment of fan empathy that we may never see again. Is it just me or is this all extraordinary?  Wow, isn't that the way you and I want or would like to be treated, fairly and with justice and with respect. Should we have compassion for another human being during the most difficult of times? I think that is incredibly important and we should all learn from this classic, that may never be repeated. Now what about those who have destroyed their lives by whatever reasons should not our hand of forgiveness be one that is reached out? We have all made mistakes and some very costly should we not be treated with respect? Jesus treated people with respect. Haven't you ever read about the woman in John Chapter 4 who came to draw water when no one else was at the well because of the way she had chosen to live her life? She had been married 5 times and was now shacking up with someone else. Some in our day might call her trailer trash, no-count or she is nothing but _______ you can fill in the blank or maybe that person who has given themselves over to drugs, alcohol, sex or a host of other impurities. How will you and I treat them if they really want help? Would we hold out the hand of respect, love and forgiveness or would we turn up our nose and say they are getting what they deserve. I remember one Sunday night many years ago when a man entered the Church and walked down and stood in front of the Pulpit and looked me in the eyes and said "please help me." As I looked down at him I noticed this awful odor and then I noticed that he had urinated all over himself many times. I was spell bound for a moment then I saw out of the corner of my eye a gentleman coming to him and putting his arm around him and showing him great compassion and respect. I will never forget that night and what I saw and heard and learned. Is that not the way we come to God? The awful smells of this life, the unjust deeds we have done. Did not God wrap His arm around you and I and with great compassion and grace? Did He not treat us with respect? That night I not only saw that man treated with respect but I also saw a Church full of people witness real love and because of one man they too experienced the excitement of real compassion. In short form let me tell the end; that man who wandered into our Church that night is dead now and there is no marker at his grave site. His family never forgave him. He died in a Nursing Home and the lives he touched while there were countless. The day of his funeral the Church was packed by those he had touched and I am not sure any of them knew of his past life, which didn't matter. Had that one man not treated him with respect and compassion none that you have just read would have been possible. Who will God allow to come your way this weekend? Be sure you treat them like our Lord has treated you. See you Monday!

No comments:

Post a Comment