Thursday, June 24, 2010

Weak? If so get Confidence

I can remember letting one of my friends down when I was in my teens; I don't remember how I let him down but I will never forget the words he said to me afterward. He said "with friends like you I don't need enemies." He must have forgiven me because our friendship went on for years afterwards. One of my favorite stories in the Gospels, is the story of Jesus and Peter, after the resurrection. The story takes place on the beach along the sea of Tiberias. Peter has seriously let Jesus down over the recent days, running away from Jesus at his time of greatest need and repeatedly denying he even knew Him. At that breakfast at the beach, Jesus had every right to tell Peter, "I love you, but you let me down. I can't trust you anymore." I wouldn't have blamed him? That is not what He does, He does just the opposite. He gives Peter responsibility

John 21:16
He saith to him again the second time, Simon, son of Jonas, lovest thou me? He saith unto him, Yea, Lord; thou knowest that I love thee. He saith unto him, Feed my sheep. Peter was no poster-boy for having it "all together." Yet, Jesus not only revealed Himself personally to Peter, but He gave him authority to minister to others.
None of us are perfect and we all struggle with sin's grip on our lives.

1John 1:8 If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves and the truth is not in us. We need to understand something about ourselves for we are: both saint and sinner, with strengths and weaknesses; successes and failures; victories and defeats. When we acknowledge our brokenness, struggles and our need for Christ, He will use us. When we understand that we are weak, and put our confidence in Christ's work in our lives, He will use us. Instead of wallowing in our self-condemnation and self-pity today, receive this encouragement from Scriptures:

2Corinthains 12:9
And he said unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness. Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me.

2Corinthains 12:10
Therefore I take pleasure in infirmities, in reproaches, in necessities, in persecutions, in distresses for Christ's sake: for when I am weak, then am I strong. Christ's grace is when I realize I am weak then am I strong because of Christ strength in me. Do you think you are a failure? Do you think you can never be used again? Keep thinking like that and you will sit on the seat of do nothing until the day you die. Get up admit your weakness and ask the Lord to help you and you too may be used to help others.

No comments:

Post a Comment