Thursday, March 3, 2011

Cannot Keep

Water parks; I had seen them but had never been to one. Then one day on our vacation my daughter said “I think tomorrow we’ll go to the water park” and then looked at me and said “you are going aren’t you.” I said “sure I’m going” little did I know what was ahead of me; I did say I have never been to one didn’t I? Well; off we go the next day my wife, daughter, grand kids and of course me. The first thing we did was this big covered tube looking thing which was alright but things would get longer, darker and faster before this day was over. At one time I found myself 40 or 50 feet in the air looking down at tubes running every which of way. All was well while I was standing there waiting for my turn to go down this big enclosed tube but then it was my time to go. That is when I said to myself what in the world are you doing? When the day was done; It was sad to say goodbye to the water park as the manager leads us to the gate telling us the park was closed.{just kidding} The reason I told you all that was to tell you this. I could have stayed back at the motel and no-one would have gotten mad at me but I would have missed out on a day I will never forget.  A day that I got to spend with my family doing crazy things. One day a man invited me to go to Church and I did and on that day I gave my heart to the Lord Jesus Christ. I didn’t go planning to do anything but go to Church and come home. Thank God on that day almost 38 years ago I put my trust in the shed blood of Jesus Christ and my life has never been the same. Just as I would have missed out on all the fun by not going to the water park I may have missed heaven by not going to Church thatSunday morning. Sometimes we might need to make a change from the ordinary to have a memory that we’ll never forget. As I am now on the back side of life and can see clearly some opportunities I missed because I didn’t change the ordinary.  As missionary Jim Elliot wrote in his journal on October 28, 1949 at age 22 "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose."  What is it that is keeping you away from accepting Christ? January 8, 1956 Jim Elliot was killed in his mission work to reach the Auca Indians  at age 28.  We read this in the book of James:
James 4:14  Whereas ye know not what shall be on the morrow. For what is your life? It is even a vapour, that appeareth for a little time, and then vanisheth away.  As you and I don't know what will happen to us tomorrow or even later today. What is Life compared to eternity; a vapor!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment