Monday, March 21, 2011

Meet Phillip

Chris Waye, missionary to the British Isles, blogged about my good friend Phillip I want you to meet Phil. I have also been working with Phil in the Reformers Unanimous program and in the Scarlet Thread Ministry. As Phil and I talked one night while we were out I asked him if he had ever been in a gang? He told me that he had been beat in in 1994. I then asked him what did that mean? He then told me that he was taken to a grave yard and beat by six other gang members for  3 minutes. Before it was all over I had broken ribs,cuts and whelps; I asked him if he went to the ER? He said no he just tuffed it out. God has done a great work in this young mans life. On Sunday mornings you will find him standing at the front door helping hand out bulletins smiling and talking to those who walk through the doors of Victory Baptist Church Loganville GA. Phil is one of many who have found help as they walked through those doors. Now read what Chris had to say about Phil.
Mar 17, 2011 10:26 am | chriswaye
For those of you who do not know Phil, he is quickly becoming one of my closest friends. Phil has had a pretty rough past, but on Sunday, September 5th of last year, his life changed completely. He tells me that as he sat on the edge of his bed, not long after finishing his last 40 ounces of alcohol, he was brought to a decision. He was either going to jail that day or going to church. Thankfully, Phil chose to walk the two miles he lived from the church and give it a shot.
That day also happened to be the first Sunday we were back from Peru. It was old fashioned sunday. I can only imagine what Phil must have thought when he walked in and saw the hay on the floor, the overalls, the wagons and all that was going on. But what was really going on that day, was God beginning to work in his life.
You see, that morning, Phil realized his sin and need for a savior and received the gift of salvation that only Christ can give. Since then, I don’t know that I have ever seen a life so dramatically changed. He is in every, and I mean every church service that he can be in. He is an active, working member of the Reformers Unanimous program at our church. He has a heart for people and wants to see those from his past come to know Christ as well.
Every week, he and I go out together to make visits. We then study the Bible and try to figure out ways to get his old friends around so they too can hear about the ONE who can change lives. I will never forget the day we were going out to make a visit. He looked at me and said “Chris, do you think it would be ok if I did the talking this time and told them about Jesus”. Man was I excited!
I thank God for Phil and the life he now lives. I also thank God for the people that He has put around Phil that have helped him get to where he is today. It has been an amazing six months, seeing him grow closer to the Lord than I could have ever imagined.

No comments:

Post a Comment