Friday, March 4, 2011

Heart

If you were asked this question, how long would you want to live 60,70,80,or 90 years what would be your answer? We don't get to choose how long our life will be; or do we? No, I’m not talking about eating food that taste like cardboard or drinking 4 gallons of water a day.  We read this in the book of Proverbs
Proverbs 3:2  For length of days, and long life, and peace, shall they add to thee.
Did we just read length of days, long life and peace will be added? That’s too good to be true; what’s the catch or how can I accomplish that?  We read and hear about eating right and exercising and just take care of yourself and we’ll live longer. The Bible tells us something different; not that eating right and exercising will hurt but read with me this. Proverbs 3:1  My son, forget not my law; but let thine heart keep my commandments: Did you notice who this is being written to? “My son” it’s a family term as a father would be speaking to his child. The child is first reminded of something very important; could this be God’s law? I think it might. When I was living at home my Dad set down some rules; one of those rules was on the weekend be home no later than 11:30 pm and always have a dime in your pocket. That way if something were to happen you could call home. My Dad meant 11:30 not 11:31and that was his rule or law. I can’t count the times I raced the clock to get home before or by 11:30. I remember one Friday night getting home at 11:40; as I walked towards the door thinking in my mind how I would explain my being a bit late. I told myself that after I tell Dad what all had happened he would understand; after all I knew he has had things happen to him; sounded good to me. I walked in the door and began to tell why I was a bit late and my Dad didn’t even want to hear about it.  I was late and that was it. We are told, not to forget my law; but that’s not all, we are told where to keep that law and it’s not in our heads. Why the heart and not the head? Good question and here is my answer; we put things in our heart that are of the upmost importance. We put information in our head but we put important things we want to keep in our heart. I love my wife and I tell her that often. I tell her because I want her to know that so she will without doubt know I love her will all my heart. What if one day I were to look into her beautiful brown eyes and say sweetheart I love you with all my head; wonder what she would say? Our heart is where the important things are kept that is why David said this; Psalms119:11  Thy word have I hid in mine heart, why have you put God’s word in your heart and not your head David? that I might not sin against thee. It was so important to David that he not sin that he placed Gods word in his heart not his head. Then we are told in the next verse
Proverbs 3:2  that good days and long life and peace will be add to you. Then in verses4 & 5 we read  Proverbs 3:5  Trust in the LORD with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding.
Proverbs 3:6  In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths.
We are told that to trust in the Lord with all our heart and not to lean on our own understanding. In all our ways we are to acknowledge the Lord and the Lord will give you and I direction. How do you love the Lord? With your heart or your head; which path are you on His or yours? I will be on the path that leads me to the Church house this Sunday morning and evening I hope you will be too. 

No comments:

Post a Comment