Monday, June 13, 2011

Houdina

Houdina; it is said that he was the most famous magician in history.  Houndina was born in 1874 and died in 1923 from appendicitis. Sometime in his life Houdina made this statement that he would communicate from the afterlife if one existed. Harry Houndina has been dead for 88 years and I have not read or heard of any communications from Mr. Houndina. Well, is there no afterlife? Could it be true that when this life is over that’s it? I don’t want to base afterlife on what Harry Houndina said because if I do then I would have to believe that there is no afterlife. If you and I base afterlife on a principle that we find in the Bible I think we can quickly come to a clear understanding. There was a rich man and there was a poor man; one had all he could ever want and the other had to beg. As it will happen to all of us they both died and the Bible records it for us in the Gospel of Luke. 
Luke 16:19  There was a certain rich man, which was clothed in purple and fine linen, and fared sumptuously every day:
Luke 16:20  And there was a certain beggar named Lazarus, which was laid at his gate, full of sores,
Luke 16:22  And it came to pass, that the beggar died, and was carried by the angels into Abraham's bosom: the rich man also died, and was buried;  Now did you notice that when the beggar died he was carried by the angels and the rich man was buried? Then as we read on we see that they didn’t go to the same place. Not only that the focus is put on the rich man    
Luke 16:23  And in hell he lift up his eyes, being in torments, and seeth Abraham afar off, and Lazarus in his bosom.
The rich man lifts up his eyes in hell and we are also told that he was in torments that’s plural with an “s.” Now I don’t know anything much about Harry Houndina only what I have read for he died many years before I was born. But I do read of a man in Luke 16 wanting so bad to communicate with the living or may I say with his family but he was denied. 
Luke 16:27  Then he(rich man) said, I pray thee therefore, father, that thou wouldest send him to my father's house:
Luke 16:28  For I have five brethren; that he may testify unto them, lest they also come into this place of torment.
Sounds like a reasonable request but it was denied      
Luke 16:29  Abraham saith unto him, They have Moses and the prophets; let them hear them.
Maybe Harry Houndina was denied for the same reason for you see we have the Bible, good Churches, others telling others about God’s grace. If you will remember one did come back from the dead his name was Jesus Christ and you know what people still don’t believe. The principle found in God’s word should be applied to our lives and our trust placed in the one that did return from the dead, Jesus Christ. I hope you have a Blessed week this week and I hope you know where you are headed when this life is over; which could very well be today!

No comments:

Post a Comment