Monday, June 6, 2011

The Invite

Have you ever felt cheated? Felt like you were second class. American Idol has just finished up its tenth season and only one winner walked away with the prize. There is T.V. reality about singing, dancing and cooking; the best at business and who knows what else; with only one winner. Do we live in a world that has us thinking that there are only a few winners and only a few who are good at what they do? It won't be long until they are standing in line with their dreams ahead of them for the hopes of becoming the Season #11 American Idol. I am afraid that many pass up a real chance at the greatest gift that anyone could have. Let me explain for I almost did that very thing. Back in 1973 a man by the name of Ken began talking to me about spiritual things; and to be honest I really didn’t want to hear what he had to say. I finally told him if he would quit talking I would go to Church the following Sunday. I didn’t care much about going to Church but I wanted to tell him when I went to work on Monday night that I had been. I kept my word and went with my wife and two year old son; I hadn’t been to Church in a long time. On that Sunday morning little did I know that God was going to give me an opportunity that would last for eternity. I went to keep my word to a co-worker but God put His Word in my heart and I have never been the same. Where on the T.V. reality shows there’s only one winner God says that we all are winners and He  has given us the gift of a life time!  You won't have to stand in line for hours to get an opportunity. Oh no, He comes looking for you! You may receive an invite as I did, a co-worker may want to speak with you, your wife may suggest that the family go to Church or you may even read an email or a blog and the writer suggest the same thing for you. Now here is where the rubber meets the road once you receive that invite what will you do with it? Forget about it? Get involved with something else and just not go. Had I done that I would have missed the greatest opportunity of my life. I can’t sing, dance or cook; neither am I a business man that would win the top place on any reality show. But I was sharp enough to know that I was a sinner and that Jesus was the SaviorRomans 3:23  For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God;
That word “all” means everyone, everybody, anyone, whosoever, you, I, me, he, them, those, anyone who has ever been born. 
John 3:16  For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.
John 3:17  For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.
John 3:18  He that believeth on him is not condemned: but he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God.
How about you? Do you have eternal life? Did you take advantage of the invite? I haven’t seen Ken in 37 years, Ken knows nothing about what the Lord has done in my life but the Lord does and one day when I meet Ken again; more than likely on the other side I will be able to thank him for the invite that changed my life forever.  Take the time this week to invite someone to come to Church with you it may the greatest day of their life just like it was mine. 

No comments:

Post a Comment