Wednesday, July 20, 2011

The Debt

 Saving Private Ryan is a 1998 American war film
 
 set during the invasion of Normandy
 
 in World War II. The film begins with an elderly World War II
 
 veteran and his family visiting the Normandy American Cemetery and Memorial
 
 at Colleville-sur-mer
 
; Normandy, France.
 Ryan's brothers have both been killed in combat, and, unbeknownst to him, he is his mother's only surviving son. The mission involves the captain's unit in brutal battles with the Germans but Private Ryan is located and his life is saved by his captain who dies in the process. As Private Ryan attends to his mortally wounded rescuer, the captain speaks his last words in a hoarse whisper - "Earn this."  Ryan many years later, near the end of his life kneels by his captain's grave and says: "Every day of my life, I've thought about what you said to me that day on the bridge. I've done my best. I hope at least in your eyes that I've lived up to all you gave for me." Here's a man who tried to live his life here in light of what was sacrificed for him. Now Jesus will never say of His death for us, "Earn this." We couldn't. That's why He died because there is nothing we could ever do that could pay our sin-bill with God. He did it all. 
Colossians 1:10  That ye might walk worthy of the Lord unto all pleasing, being fruitful in every good work, and increasing in the knowledge of God;
Colossians 1:11  Strengthened with all might, according to his glorious power, unto all patience and longsuffering with joyfulness;
Colossians 1:12  Giving thanks unto the Father, which hath made us meet to be partakers of the inheritance of the saints in light:
Colossians 1:13  Who hath delivered us from the power of darkness, and hath translated us into the kingdom of his dear Son:
Colossians 1:14  In whom we have redemption through his blood, even the forgiveness of sins:
In verse 13 we are told of the rescue mission Jesus came here on. He has rescued us from  darkness and has translated us (to bear, remove, or change from one place, state, form, or appearance to another) into the kingdom of his dear Son: If you still find yourself messing around with the dark stuff then you are embracing the very junk Jesus died to set you free from.  We can’t earn what Jesus did for each of us but we can live each day of our life in the light of what He did for us.

He paid a debt He did not owe

He paid a debt He did not owe;
I owed a debt I could not pay;
I needed someone to wash my sins away.
And, now, I sing a brand new song,
“Amazing Grace.”
Christ Jesus paid a debt that I could never pay.

He paid that debt at Calvary.
He cleansed my soul and set me free.
I'm glad that Jesus did all my sins erase.
I, now, can sing a brand new song,
“Amazing Grace.”
Christ Jesus paid a debt that I could never pay.

One day He's coming back for me
To live with Him eternally.
Won't it be glory to see Him on that day!
I, then, will sing a brand new song,
“Amazing Grace.”
Christ Jesus paid a debt that I could never pay.
Yes, Jesus paid a debt that I could never pay.

Ellis J. Crum
 

No comments:

Post a Comment