Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Your Bible Doesn't Care

My wife and I had only been married 6 months when I received orders for an 18 month tour of duty. I remember getting on an air plane and leaving everything behind going to a place I didn’t want to be, but I had no choice. I can remember going to the mail room sometimes more than once a day just hoping to get a letter from my wife. Other soldiers were getting letters from home why some even got them with a perfume smell on them. I didn’t care about a perfume smell but the letter itself. When those letters came I would read those same words over and over again, not because there was any new information, not because it was a letter it was the person who had written the letter. While reading her letters I was with her and that is all I had until I could be with her again in person.
Our Bible is like that it’s not just a book but the person of the book that changes everything. I sometimes wonder do I look as forward to reading my Bible as I did those letters from my wife. I wonder when I read my Bible do I act as if it is God’s love letter to me? Do I get excited about my Bible reading time? As I write this I am reminded of two women in Luke chapter 10 their names are Mary and Martha. Martha was busy and upset because her sister Mary wasn’t helping her at all. Martha peeks in at her and finds her sitting at the feet of Jesus and gets all upset because she is not helping her.
 Luke 10:39  And she had a sister called Mary, which also sat at Jesus' feet, and heard his word.
Luke 10:40  But Martha was cumbered (distracted) about much serving, and came to him, and said, Lord, dost thou not care that my sister hath left me to serve alone? bid her therefore that she help me.
Luke 10:41  And Jesus answered and said unto her, Martha, Martha, thou art careful and troubled about many things:
Luke 10:42  But one thing is needful: and Mary hath chosen that good part, which shall not be taken away from her.
Mary set at the Lord’s feet listening to what He said. Mary may have look at this time as David did  
Psalms 119:72  The law of thy mouth is better unto me than thousands of gold and silver.
Now Martha was distracted by all the preparations that had to be made. Martha begins to criticize Mary for not running around like she is. But Jesus says Mary has chosen that good part; Mary had chosen spending time with Jesus more important.  When you and I read our Bible we need to see it as time well spent at Jesus feet. It’s all about Him, it’s all about a person and it all about a relationship with Him. The Bible doesn’t care if you show up. Jesus does! Have you ever had an appointment with someone and they forgot to show up? It wasn’t the appointment that failed you it was the person that failed you. Jesus is there waiting, did we show up to spend time with Him today or were you too busy like Martha to take the time to sit at His feet distracted by many things. 

No comments:

Post a Comment