Tuesday, March 6, 2012

My Son


It was always a joy to me to hear my dad say to someone else, “this is my son”, “this is my oldest son” or anything that identified me as being his son. When he would say things like that it assured me of being his son or in his family, it gave me a feeling of security and of love. In the book of Proverbs the words “My Son” are mentioned sixteen times in the first seven chapters. In chapter one we are told to hear the instruction of your father. 
Proverbs 1:8 My son, hear the instruction of thy father, and forsake not the law of thy mother:
It’s the instruction from the father of warning.
Proverbs 1:10 My son, if sinners entice thee, consent thou not.
Proverbs 1:15 My son, walk not thou in the way with them; refrain thy foot from their path:
Chapter two we are told to receive;
Proverbs 2:1 My son, if thou wilt receive my words, and hide my commandments with thee;
We must have a mindset for receiving and that comes by hearing. Chapter three deals with keeping that which we have received by placing it in our heart and allowing Him to direct our path. After we have received and hid then comes the understanding and results.
Proverbs 4:4 He taught me also, and said unto me, Let thine heart retain my words: keep my commandments, and live. By the time we come to chapter five the one being instructed or taught has had some training. Here’s what’s important; teaching is useless if there is no training and training becomes useless if there is no testing. It’s one thing to know what not to do, it’s another to do what you’ve been taught when the time comes.  The military helped me to learn this principle; follow your training not what you think in time of danger, listen to the one in command and follow their instructions. Now with all we have just read about listening to be instructed; the day will come when your training will keep you safe. “If sinners entice” (to attract artfully) don’t consent and you do that by not walking with them.  We all will be tested on our training and we see that in chapter seven. Want your marriage to stay together? Here’s the training;
 Proverbs 5:19  Let her be as the loving hind and pleasant roe; let her breasts satisfy thee at all times; and be thou ravished always with her love.  In other words stay out of Hooters, get your wings somewhere else. Never let what you saw in your wife depart from your memory and be ravished, delighted to ecstasy always with her love. If we do that then we will never be running after someone else or allowing another to entice us, the reason being that we are satisfied and satisfied people don’t allow themselves to be attracted artfully.

No comments:

Post a Comment