Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Well Done


 It was many years ago now but the lesson I learned that day hopefully will never leave my mind. I was working with a trim carpenter running trim in some very costly homes. We were working on a house as usual when we were asked to get all our tools and go to another house. It had been sold and they needed to get the trim work finished. We began working and worked hard to please everyone involved.  We worked long hours, as we got closer to being through everyone was pulled off that job but me. I worked hard to get everything finished. One more thing was to be done; it was after lunch as I began this task which would take the rest of the day and then some. I raced to get it finished and as I was finishing up my boss came to check it all out. He spent his time looking around and then he spoke up and told me this “I would like for you to stop for a minute and look at what you have done.”  He then said “you have turned that piece of wood upside down.” I couldn’t believe what I was hearing he was not saying thanks for working late and getting this job finished for me, I wasn’t hearing, it all looks good we are pleased with your workmanship. No, all I was hearing was some negative talk. I learned that day that complaining comes quicker than compliments. Too many times we don’t hesitate to point out what’ s wrong, but completely neglect to point out what’s right. Eager to find fault, but hesitant to praise, we express our grief and regrets, but overlook our blessings. On that day I remembered how I felt and I made a decision. That decision was that I had within myself the power to tear down or built up, destroy or improve, appreciate a job well done or act as if I never noticed. I want to be the one who not only notices a job well done but give praise where it is due. Remember that in the book of Matthew we read about three servants that were given talents or money. Only two of those servants heard the words “well done” one was called wicked and a lazy servant. We may not have all been given money, but we all have been given the ability to do something that will bring good results in others as well as ourselves. What words had you rather hear?  
Matthew 25:21  His lord said unto him, Well done, thou good and faithful servant: thou hast been faithful over a few things, I will make thee ruler over many things: enter thou into the joy of thy lord. Or
 Matthew 25:26  His lord answered and said unto him, Thou wicked and slothful servant,  How will you be remembered? 

No comments:

Post a Comment