Thursday, March 15, 2012

Time Well Spent


Have you ever heard anyone say that it was just their nature to do….? I want you to think for a moment about what nature really is. Our nature will determine what our appetite is. Just like a pig wants slop, and sheep desire green pastures our nature will also determine our behavior. The bird’s nature is to fly, the fish’s nature is to swim, a monkey’s nature is to swing from tree to tree while our nature is to walk up right. Nature will also determine our environment, squirrels nest in trees, rats have burrows underground and fish live in the water. Nature also will determine our association, just as wolves travel in packs, sheep in flocks and fish in schools. If a person says that they are a child of God then that person should have within themselves an appetite for God’s word.
1Pe 2:2  As newborn babes, desire the sincere milk of the word, that ye may grow thereby:
In this verse we see there is a desire to know what Gods Word has to say, just as a newborn baby cries for milk because they are hungry. As they drink milk they grow to the point that they began to desire a food that is more fulfilling. Our nature and appetite should do the same; there should come a point to where we want to understand more. The more we take in the more we grow; we can have as much as we want or as little as we are satisfied with. Ask the sheep would you like a green pasture or a brown one? They would say a green pasture. What do you want? Remember you can have as much as you want or as little as you are satisfied with. Do you want to know about God or do you want to know God? There are those who know my wife. What I mean is they know her by her name, her appearance, the sound of her voice maybe but  I know her! I know what she likes and doesn’t like, I know how she feels about many things, I can tell by looking at her if she is upset with me. The difference is I know her by relationship. The same is true with God. We can know Him by relationship and just like my wife it comes by spending time with Him. We do that by reading and learning His word.
Psa 119:9   Wherewithal shall a young man cleanse his way? by taking heed thereto according to thy word.
Psa 119:11  Thy word have I hid in mine heart, that I might not sin against thee.
Psa 119:16  I will delight myself in thy statutes: I will not forget thy word.
Psa 119:17   Deal bountifully with thy servant, that I may live, and keep thy word.
Psa 119:50  This is my comfort in my affliction: for thy word hath quickened me.
Psa 119:65   Thou hast dealt well with thy servant, O LORD, according unto thy word.
Psa 119:89   For ever, O LORD, thy word is settled in heaven.
Psa 119:105 Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path.
Psa 119:140  Thy word is very pure: therefore thy servant loveth it.
The only way to have a relationship with the Lord is to know Him through His Word. You may know about the Lord but if you never spent time in His Word you don’t know HIM!

No comments:

Post a Comment