Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Restful

Call it strange if you like, but from time to time I love to stop by older cemeteries and read the tomb stones. It is amazing what you can learn about someone in just a few short words on their tomb stone. There is one here in Loganville, Ga. that I have never forgotten. I read it years ago and what she said from her grave has never left me. Her name I do not remember, but the year of her death and what she said has impacted me. She died 47 years before I was born and her tomb stone spoke to me some 80 years after her death. What she had engraved on it leads me to believe this young lady had lived and died a restful and peaceful life. It simply said “Where you stand now, I once stood. Where I am now, you’ll soon be. Prepare to meet God!" She left behind words of warning that you and I are ready for a soon coming event. We all know it is coming we just don't know when or how. I want us to look at what happened one night on a boat ride that should have been completely safe as well as restful.
Mat 8:23 And when he (Jesus) was entered into a ship, his disciples followed him.
Mat 8:24 And, behold, there arose a great tempest in the sea, insomuch that the ship was covered with the waves: but he (Jesus) was asleep.
Mat 8:25 And his disciples came to him, and awoke him, saying, Lord, save us: we perish.
Mat 8:26 And he saith unto them, Why are ye fearful, O ye of little faith? Then he arose, and rebuked the winds and the sea; and there was a great calm.
Could they have been any safer? Jesus Himself was on board! Jesus was at peace and restful so much so that He was sleeping during all the excitement. Maybe one of the disciples said to the others, “Somebody go wake Jesus before we kill God's only Son!" You may laugh at that, but they might as well have said that. I don’t know what would have happened if they had not woke Him up. But I do know that because of what they did Jesus said “why are you so fearful,” and their faith was little. Well, I wonder today are we at peace? Are we Restful? I only mean that people who are restful are people who have looked facts in the face; who have toiled, when there was not much light to toil by, and carried their crosses in a smiling way. One of the first invitations which Jesus gave was this: "Come unto me…and I will give you rest." One of the last promises before the cross was this: "My peace I give unto you." So if you and I are going to have “rest” we’re going to have to come unto Jesus. If you and I are going to have “peace” it will be given unto us by Jesus. Have a Peaceful and Restful day!

No comments:

Post a Comment