Monday, July 27, 2009

Go Ahead Who Will Know

"To get what you've never had, you must do what you've never done." I say that often at our Reformers meetings and to the students. If you and I are to have what we never had, we must do what we've never done. That my friend takes something called "self-discipline" Thomas Huxley said it well when he said "Do what you should do, when you should do it, whether you feel like it or not." Some days you don't feel like going to work; but you go anyways. Some days you may feel like staying in bed, but you get up. When you and I don't feel like doing something we are only putting it off. Let me give you an example; your car needs to have the oil changed; you wrote it down so you wouldn't forget but when that day comes you put it off. Before you know it your calendar now tells you it is time once again to have your oil changed; you put if off. It's been over a year now since you have had the oil changed, what you didn't realize was that you have been low on oil for some time and one day while driving down the road your engine locks up. What would have only cost a small amount of money has now turned into a larger amount for repair. You do things even if you don't feel like it! I remember Joseph, when he was a captive in the house of Potiphar a captain of the guard who had bought him. Genesis 39:1
And Joseph was brought down to Egypt; and Potiphar, an officer of Pharaoh, captain of the guard, an Egyptian, bought him of the hands of the Ishmaelite, which had brought him down thither.
It was not long before Potiphar had put all that he had into Joseph's hand. It was not long after that Potiphar's wife set her liking on this young man and went after him. Joseph used two things to keep himself pure; #1- He knew it was sin and would not be pleasing to God. #2- He used self-discipline. We both have known those who know that a certain act is sin but they go ahead and do it anyways. I've done it, sad to say! We justify our actions by the situation we find ourselves in. Here is Joseph, a slave in another land because of an injustice that his brothers did unto him. Joseph could have said "might as well go ahead, I mean she wants me anyways and who will ever know? I'm just a slave and she's my master's wife and she's commanding me to do this, I know it's wrong but I just can't see any way from not doing this." That's not at all how Joseph handled it. Read what he said... Genesis 39:9 There is none greater in this house than I; neither hath he kept back any thing from me but thee, because thou art his wife: how then can I do this great wickedness, and sin against God? Joseph did right, he used self-discipline and we all say good for you Joseph but what was the cost of doing what was right? Potiphar's wife lied about what really happened and she said that Joseph tried to force himself on her.
Genesis 39:20
And Joseph's master took him, and put him into the prison, a place where the king's prisoners were bound: and he was there in the prison.
Prison! Oh yes it may cost to do what's right. Many will applaud you for doing wrong and tell you it's the standard of our times and God will understand! Will He?

Hebrews 13:8 Jesus Christ the same yesterday, and to day, and for ever. What was wrong in days gone by is still wrong in our present day. I remember lying about a situation I found myself in, it all seemed right at the time even with that small voice inside me saying tell the truth. Well I didn't and I was placed into a mental prison. Every time I would go by this ladies place of business my heart would say "there is where you told that lie to that lady." So one day I pulled into to her place of business and asked her to forgive me for I had told her a lie and told her what I had lied about. She then told me that she knew I was lying all the time. Oh no! Knowing to do better and then not doing it is sin.

James 4:17
Therefore to him that knoweth to do good, and doeth it not, to him it is sin.
God used that in my life to teach me to obey Him and to use self discipline. Self-discipline is a wonderful thing but in order for it to be wonderful it first must be used. So when the opportunity comes about what will you do? That which is right or that which is accessible? Do what is right and you'll stay out of prison.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment