Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Wakeup Call

A wake up call! Ever had one? No I am not talking about your alarm clock or the front desk at the motel calling to make sure you're up. Let me explain! I was young and riding on the fender of my Daddy's tractor when he hit a bump in the path and I fell off. He stopped just before the wheel ran over by head. I didn't realize what had happened or how close I had come to being crushed. But for some reason I have never forgotten that experience. Then when I was 18 years old I went and joined the Military and off I went. At first it was an exciting day everyone I came in contact with was so nice. I remember arriving on the base early in the morning. They took us to the chow hall and fed us. Then on to the barracks we went it was somewhere around 3:00 A.M. I thought we would sleep until about ten o'clock or so. Wrong, wrong! at five o'clock this man who I learned later to be our drill sergeant turned on these bright lights and began to yell , kick beds and call us names. Then it hit me; too late but it hit me, what in the world have I done. There has been other wake up calls that really affected my life. Like the time my wife packed up and left me; yes she took our baby said she had had it and was gone. I knew where she was but I wasn't going to chase after her, I told myself she will be back. Wrong again! After about three days I missed her and our son greatly. So I went to her Mom's and Dad's and tried to win her back and get her back home. She said no! What? No! What's this all about! She said the only way she was coming back would be if I got a place to live. I did that day and we moved into our first apartment. All was great for awhile. But it wasn't long before I was back up to my old tricks. The next wakeup call came when I was in a Church service and the Lord spoke to me and I accepted the Lord as my savior and life has been different ever since that day. All went well for a time then my wife began to have problems with me wanting to go to church. She said "I wanted Wayne to change sure, I wanted him to go to church and treat our family better but he's reading his Bible, praying and going to church three times a week and sometimes more than that." Then in February of 1974 a young lady who was brought up in Church in a godly family walked to the front of the Church and asked Jesus to forgive her of her sins and she became a Christian that day. We have been married 39½ years and without those walkup calls I don't know what or where we would both be as of today. What about your wakeup calls? We all have them! Be careful that you don't hit the snooze. Hebrews 3:15
While it is said, Today if ye will hear his voice, harden not your hearts, as in the provocation.
Webster says the word "provocation" means
anything that excites anger; the cause of resentment.
Be careful that you don't let your past affect your future. Don't be stubborn!

No comments:

Post a Comment