Friday, July 3, 2009

July 4, 2009

This Saturday we will celebrate our nation's 233rd Birthday. It's Independence Day, commonly known as the Fourth of July. It's the day we as a Nation declared independence from the Kingdom of Great Britain. There will be fireworks, parades, barbecues, carnivals, picnics, concerts, baseball games, political speeches and ceremonies and all will be events celebrating the history of the United States. One of the most enduring myths about Independence Day is that Congress signed the Declaration of Independence on July 4, 1776.The myth had become so firmly established that, decades after the event and nearing the end of their lives, even the elderly Thomas Jefferson and John Adams had come to believe that they and the other delegates had signed the Declaration on the fourth. Most delegates actually signed the Declaration on August 2, 1776. In a remarkable series of coincidences, both John Adams and Thomas Jefferson, two founding fathers of the United States and the only two men who signed the Declaration of Independence to become president, died on the same day: July 4, 1826, which was the United States' 50th anniversary. We live in a great country that God has blessed! As I began to think about our Great Nation my mind went back to a time before July 4, 1776 when God the Father saw a host of people who needed more than a day to shoot off fireworks have parades and have a picnic. He saw men and women as sheep without a shepherd Mat 9:36 But when he saw the multitudes, he was moved with compassion on them, because they fainted, and were scattered abroad, as sheep having no shepherd. The shepherd was the leader of the sheep; he was the one who made sure the sheep has water and plenty to eat. When one of the sheep was hurt it was the shepherd that took care of them. When one of the sheep needed to be disciplined, it was the shepherd who administered the discipline. I believe that is what David was referring to in Psalms 23 when he said The LORD is my shepherd; I shall not want. (I am never in need) He maketh me to lie down in green pastures: he leadeth me beside the still waters. (Peaceful waters)
He restoreth
(renews) my soul: he leadeth (guides) me in the paths of righteousness for his name's sake.
Here we find a shepherd that loves his sheep. How much did He love His sheep? John 10:11 I am (Jesus) the good shepherd: the good shepherd giveth his life for the sheep. I am glad to be an American for sure. I was willing to put my life on the line for her 1968-1972. If you don't think you live in one if not the greatest nations that God has blessed then get on a plane and go see for yourself. But take my word for it; as awful as things seem in America it is still a great nation. But you can be born in a great nation and live a life of luxury and still be without real hope. I have the best of both worlds a great nation and a great Savior. He is my Shepherd and He does lead me in the paths of righteousness and I can say with David Psalms 23:4
Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me.
Death one day will come that is for sure, but as David said it will only be like a shadow and shadows will not hurt you. I like him will not fear death for I will have comfort; just as the Lord has taken me to green pastures and the still waters He will not leave me in the hour of death. Then I will be with the Great High Shepherd for ever more; that's exciting! John 3:16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life. 2Corinthians 5:8 We are confident, I say, and willing rather to be absent from the body, and to be present with the Lord.
I am Confident about two things I am a citizen of the United States of America and I am a citizen of Heaven. One will pass away the other will last forever!


 

No comments:

Post a Comment