Friday, August 28, 2009

Consumer

I can remember when I was a child people would ask me questions that I had no real answer for. They would say to me "what do you want to be when you grow up?" I would always give the standard answer a policeman or fireman. Then at Christmas time my parents would take me to sit on Santa Clauses knee and he would ask the most important question "what do you want me to bring you for Christmas." But as I think about it, it's so easy to want or become a consumer. You and I live in a consumer culture. We consume goods, endless cups of coffee, worship services, sermons, Bible studies, Church programs, food and on and on we could go. Many times we can't even remember what we have experienced, like that great meal you had on Monday what was it? Our Pastor's last message was about what? Most people don't even remember and if the truth be known we are too busy thinking about what we want next! Like the man in Luke 12:17-And he thought within himself, saying, What shall I do, because I have no room where to bestow my fruits?

18-
And he said, This will I do: I will pull down my barns, and build greater; and there will I bestow all my fruits and my goods.
It's time we become givers instead of consumers. What do I have that I could give that anybody would really want? How about reaching out more to those who are desperate! So who do you know who is desperate? How about that young boy who lives next door or down the street or the one you see at Church whose dad ran off and left him when he was about four years old. Give him some of your time and love. When you and I get so much going that we just don't have time for others all we have become is one who consumes more. I don't care how big or important one thinks they are in comparison with Jesus we are only a speck if that. I mean God walking the streets of Jerusalem and He had time for anyone and everyone. To the man who could not see his hand in front of his face to the one with an incurable disease that no one would have anything to do with? To the mother who was grieved at the death of her son, to the man who had been waiting for someone to put him in the pool that he might be healed. Jesus Christ had time for them all and never one time did He complain or say there were too many I haven't time for them all. He wasn't a consumer He was a giver! Do you remember the day He gave you eternal life? Then why not share your life with others and become a giver; I'm not talking about money but yourself that's what Jesus did. So how about it; why not today give part of yourself away to someone! A smile goes a long ways a pat on the back may tell someone you care, a kind word to a friend, an encouraging word to a discouraged person who needs to hear someone say something good. Mat 10:8…….freely ye have received, freely give.
2Co 9:7 Every man according as he purposeth in his heart, so let him give; not grudgingly, or of necessity: for God loveth a cheerful giver
.
So whatever you do today let someone know you care!


 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment