Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Useless, Worthless

He had a ball cap on with a big fish hook on the brim. I don't remember his name but what I do remember about him I love. He had a bad southern drawl as he stretched his words as he spoke; I could have listened to him for hours. I was told a story about him that broke my heart, his mother was what they call unfit and this young man now lives with his grandparents and has for some time. Grandparents are wonderful people but children need their moms and dads; that is the way God designed it. Then I got to thinking, did this young boy ever think he was forgotten? Did he ever feel he was a lost ball in tall grass? A small guy in a tall world! Did he ever have a feeling of only the rotten fruit gets left in the bin! The good thing about this sad story is that his grandparents are good Christian people and love this young man greatly; but they are still grandparents and grandparents may not hold as tight on the rope as they should. Many of you may very well fit yourself into this picture somehow. Maybe your parents were separated, for whatever reason or maybe you were raised by your grandparents or even in a foster home. You may feel no one cares and few people have ever loved you! Well, I have great news for you for God has a passion for the forgotten. As I read my Bible I see Jesus taking time with what the world would call losers. I personally don't think there are any losers just those who have made some bad choices in life. Do you remember the prostitute in John chapter 4? The man that was a leper Mat 26:6
Now when Jesus was in Bethany, in the house of Simon the leper,
Do you see what society puts out, God puts in. What this world writes off, God picks up. I still hear my sergeant saying to me "boy you want never amount to anything you are useless." I can still hear one of my bosses of days gone by "you will never make it you are worthless." As I look back on those days I can still remember how it made me feel; useless and worthless! For a long time I believed them; and there were others that told me similar things. But one day not long after I asked the Lord to come into my heart I read this 2 Corinthian 5:17
Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new.
What? Old things; the way I was thinking, what I was doing, what I had done, what others have said about me, the way I felt. New! Can I tell you it was like honey fallen from heaven. I wasn't worthless, the King of all Kings thought I was priceless! He had plans for my life so that meant I wasn't useless: need to take a break here and wipe the tears from my eyes and just shout for a moment. Ok! Now where were we! Oh yes, if I have felt like that I wonder how many others have? It is all a lie because the Bible tells me so John 3:16
For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

Romans 8:1
There is therefore now no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.
Don't even start to believe that lie you are someone, somebody and the Lord loves you greatly. So much so that He died for you "For God so loved the World," that's you and I. So when you start to feel like no one even cares just remember God does and He showed us just how much. Not just by the words I love you but by the action He showed us. You can't love others without giving!

No comments:

Post a Comment