Friday, August 14, 2009

How to Help

What do you do when you want to do so much and there is nothing you can say that will change anything? I remember years ago I received a phone call in the early hours of the morning. When I answered the phone all I could hear was someone crying and talking so fast I couldn't understand them. Then someone else got on the phone and asked if I would come over to their home that this woman's son had just been hit by a car and was dead. As I went to a home I had just left hours ago and all was fine; I had, had prayer and went home. Now this ladies world was upside down. As I enter the home she grabbed me by the arm and with tear streaming down her face she asked me to pray for she knew God would raise her son from the dead if I would only pray. I wish that would have been true but you and I know that would not be the case. What would I say? How would I act? This was awful and this ladies heart was broken into a million pieces and who was I to change anything. But what I learned that night has helped me greatly for over 30 years now. Let me share with you. Words may be powerful at times and words will sometimes comfort and while words are important they will never substitute for a hug. No word can shed a tear. No word can hold a hand. It's hard to find the right word in the midst of another's sorrow and pain. In moments like this our presence is often more important than words. Just being there speak volumes. Read what Paul said 2 Corinthians 1:3
Blessed be God, even the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of mercies, and the God of all comfort;

2 Corinthians 1:4
Who comforteth us in all our tribulation, (whenever we suffer) that we may be able to comfort them which are in any trouble, by the comfort wherewith we ourselves are comforted of God.
Ability to comfort rests solely on God! Jesus sent the Holy Spirit to give us peace. When we are lost, confused, hurt, sad, scared, and tired or misunderstood, He brings comfort. The Comforter will not offer meaningless words or responses. His presence in our lives holds us through life's ups and downs. We can comfort others because God first comforted us. I am sure that you have just been able at times to just be there and hold a hand and say I am so sorry as you look that hurting person in the eyes with tears in yours. Those acts will not soon be forgotten! But you may say what did I do? You my friend just let the God of all comfort work through you to help another. When you say I can't, you are thinking right, but when you let God work through you He makes a world of differences. One quick last thought. When my Daddy died there was a woman there at the funeral home and I will never forget what she said. She said I remember when my husband was out of work he gave me $20.00 and told me to take my little girl to her Piano lesson and then he walked away. He spoke few words, and with an act of kindness that she remembered years and years later. Now let the God of Heaven use you to make an impact in someone's life this weekend. It's not you it's Him in you!

No comments:

Post a Comment