Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Heavenly Treasures

If I were to play football in order for my team to win I would have to at least score a field goal. If by the same token I were to play on a baseball team we would have to at least score one run in order to win. Now if I were to play a game of horse shoes I would try to get the horse shoe around a pin which is called a ringer. But I don't have to get a ringer to win all I have to get is an almost get a ringer and I could win at that game. But there is nothing else I know of that you can almost and win. In Mark chapter ten and verses 17-22 we read of a young man coming to Jesus and asking Him a question in verse 17
we read these words there came one running, and kneeled to him, and asked him, Good Master, what shall I do that I may inherit eternal life? The problem here is he thought he could do something to have eternal life. Then Jesus said to him Mark 10:19
Thou knowest the commandments, Do not commit adultery, Do not kill, Do not steal, Do not bear false witness, Defraud not, Honour thy father and mother.
This young man thought, man is that all; if so I'm as good as having eternal life, this was too good to be true he thought Mark 10:20
And he answered and said unto him, Master, all these have I observed from my youth.
But wait Jesus has something else to say Mark 10:21
Then Jesus beholding him loved him, and said unto him, One thing thou lackest: go thy way, sell whatsoever thou hast, and give to the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven: and come, take up the cross, and follow me.
Give your earthly treasures for heavenly treasures! Could it be that this man had a problem with being selfish? Maybe, but the real problem was that he had put his trust in the wrong place; what he could do and what he had. It's not in what we can do for we can do nothing to inherit eternal life it is a gift given to us by God Himself. We receive many gifts in life; birthday, Christmas, wedding, father's day, mother's day and a host of other gifts. Gifts are given out of love and they cost the receiver nothing and all one has to do to receive a gift is be willing to accept it. That's all our Heavenly Father want us to do is to receive the gift of eternal life Romans 6:23
For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.
John 1:12
But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name:
I love what the Psalmist says in Psalms 90:9
For all our days are passed away in thy wrath: we spend our years as a tale that is told.
What does your life story have to say? We have read of a young man who had an opportunity to accept Christ and have eternal life and what does he do? Mark 10:22
And he was sad at that saying, and went away grieved: for he had great possessions.
He went away without receiving eternal life, his tale is sad. I am glad to say that my tale is a whole lot different for I received Jesus Christ and riches or earthly treasures are wonderful but have you ever gave this any thought; at death you and Bill Gates will both be broke as far as this world is concerned. Now that is when those treasures in heaven come into play and if you don't have them you will be really broke. Think things are bad now you just wait when you don't have heavenly treasures then you will understand what being without is really like. We are here for just a short time and in heaven for eternity I don't know just how long that is? But I know it's much longer than here!

No comments:

Post a Comment