Monday, December 28, 2009

Excuses

As we wait for 2010 to arrive there are most likely things we intended to get done but failed to get them accomplished but time waits for no man it moves on and 2010 is coming ready or not. As I think about that word come I am reminded of what Matthew tells us in chapter 11 verse 28 Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.
I noticed four words "Come unto me, all" not just a few but all. That includes everyone which means me, you and anyone else you can think of. That word come means to move toward something: approach
<come here>
b: to move or journey to vicinity with a specified purpose <come see us>
<come and see what's going on>
here we see an invitation being given. This reminds me of our Salvation we have an invitation to be forgiven and what do we do with such an invitation? In the book of Luke chapter 14 starting with verse 17 we read And sent his servant at supper time to say to them that were bidden, Come; for all things are now ready.

Luke 14:18
And they all with one
consent
began to make excuse. The first said unto him, I have bought a piece of ground, and I must needs go and see it: I pray thee have me excused.

Luke 14:19
And another said, I have bought five yoke of oxen, and I go to prove them: I pray thee have me excused.

Luke 14:20 And another said, I have married a wife, and therefore I cannot come.

An invitation was sent out but when the invitation arrive to those who had been invited they began to make excuses.


#1- "I have bought a piece of ground, and I must needs go and see it: "What a poor excuse who buys property without first looking at it?

#2-The next is just as bad "I have bought five yoke of oxen, and I go to prove them"

I have bought 10 Oxen and I need to go examine them to see what I really bought.

#3-Then the third excuse is a poor one too but at least in it we are told where this man stood "I have married a wife, and therefore I cannot come" My, wife told me I couldn't come; sorry.

Sounds like the excuses people make today about not going to Church. "It's the only day I have to sleep"
"we are still looking for the right Church" {sorry they all have faults} "all they want from me is my money" {if you have that much money everyone else is worrying you too} "it's the only day I have off" But remember what it was called "an excuse" which means to decline, shun: - avoid, refuse, reject. Would it really have made any difference about the ground or oxen and could not the man's wife have come along too, remember it was a great meal {supper} made for all. The problem is they didn't want to come, so they each in their own way shunned the invitation at hand. Did you notice too that every man made his own choice? With the invitation the responsibility to except or reject was with the one the invitation was sent. What difference would it have made to go look at real estate you had bought without looking at? You have already purchased it, going to look at it in the dark when you can't see it wouldn't change anything? Just remember when we shun God and those who are trying to reach us, we make the wrong choice. We may make goals for the upcoming year and there is nothing wrong with that at all but we must remember to live each day that God gives us to the fullest for tomorrow we may not have. So this week as we count down the days in 2009 let us remember this past year and not make the same mistakes.

No comments:

Post a Comment