Monday, December 14, 2009

Try

My Dad used to wear a little pin on his suit coat lapel that said simply "Try God." I understand what he was saying; you have tried everything you thought would help, try God for He's the answer you have been looking for; and he was right. My wife and I were riding down the road the other day and we saw a sign that read "Try Jesus" and I got to thinking is there any place in the Bible that tells us to "Try Jesus or God?" Merriam-Webster dictionary defines the word "try" as- to put to test or trial <try one's luck> —often used without <try out a new method> b: to subject to something (as undue strain or excessive hardship or provocation) that tests the powers of endurance. As I look in the Bible I found that the word "try" was only used 17 times 13 times in the Old Testament and 4 times in the New Testament and it carried these meanings refine, to test, investigate, find out, discern, examine, a putting to proof, to approve. But nowhere did I find where we are to try God or Jesus. We try lots of things we don't like but when it comes to God or Jesus are we to try them like we would; say ice cream? No, the Bible tells us that He knocks at our hearts door and we are to open up the door to our heart and let Him come in. We are told in Psalms 34:8
O taste and see that the LORD is good: blessed is the man that trusteth in him.
Taste and see not taste and hope you see but taste and see what? "That the Lord is good." I have never in my life heard one person say I tasted and I saw but the Lord's not good. No! I did hear this on Friday "when I gave it over completely to the Lord He began to solve my problems but it wasn't until I surrendered." That is the key "surrender" not try and see but taste and see, then one is more than willing to surrender their life over to Him the King of Kings and Lord of Lords. The problem is we are too busy trying to fix the mess we have gotten ourselves into. That's what King David tried to do with Bathsheba; that's what Peter tried to do when he told the Lord "Though I should die with thee, yet will I not deny thee." Wonder what the outcome of that night would have been if Peter would have only surrendered? Do we not do the same things; I mean we try to fix all our problems and there are some that we can't fix. But the good news is there is nothing that God can't fix. That's what we do," I'll fix it," I'll make it work," I have come to the conclusion there is not one thing I have come across that I can't tear up and in some cases I even have tools to do it with. But there is not anything that God can't fix; just get out of His way! Surrender and let Him do what He does best. This week you will come across things you can't fix, just surrender and see what the Lord will do. I think you will find that He does a much better job than you could ever do. Now have a good week.

No comments:

Post a Comment